[Elfsea] Cooking books

Eithne the Healer eithnethehealer at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 23 19:22:17 PST 2004

I went to the 80% off bookstore, this one is on Bedford Rd. in the old Pier I bldg, close to Garden Ridge. I got 3 large booksfor christmas presents, historial of course, from there so I checked it out today.
I found ine copy of a  cook book with foods of Shakespeare's timewith modern updates. Reasonable at $6. They also had a lot of new mysteries, alternative religion & Fantasy and loads for kids.
Lady Eithne
FalconRose

Richard Threlkeld <rjt at softwareinnovation.com> wrote:
Yea! I just got several very nice books on food, mostly historical.

The Oxford Companion to Food is a listing of words and phrases with very complete definitions. It includes historical information, dates when first found anywhere, when found in Europe, gives the primary document information. It contains no recipes, however. It is just nice.

The Cambridge World History of Food is a two volume set which contains hundreds of articles on various aspects of historical food including what staples they had, what diseases they had that might be food related, what they ate by geographic regions, etc. Really neat.

Larousse Gastronomique is also an encyclopedia of food with historical notes, but it also has thousands of recipes - mostly historic French recipes with a hundred or so wonderful pictures and many hundreds of drawings.

Finally, The Professional Chef, which is the new CIA (Culinary Institute of America) Cookbook/Handbook with recipes, lots of how tos, and a whole lot of kitchen chemistry. It is one of the best books for learning how to be a professional-level chef. The other one at the same level is The Making of a Chef.

If anyone is interested in these books, come to the Cook's Guild on the third Monday of each month or call to find when we are available (214.850.1558).

In service,
Caelin on Andrede