[Elfsea] Words of Warning

Rhonda and Stephen Hays housedragonstar at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 31 08:06:46 PST 2004

Good my Baron and Baroness,

Yesterday, my lord husband and young Arias spent the day with the armorers, fitting him with a new gorget wrought with much skill at the anvil.  Apparently the sound of the hammers drew attention to our keep, nestled among the hills of the far reaches of the Barony on our northwestern border.

Thanks to the screams of a young maid, who had risen early to start the baking of the bread in the wee small hours of the morning, we all awoke to find our armory being raided!  She spotted the unfamiliar lot as she went to fetch wood to feed the ovens. Our small company of men gave chase, but could catch none of the band who carried with them the best of the new weapons to come from the armorers' hands.

While I was inspecting the wreckage, I did find something of great interest:  a piece of cloth, ripped from one of the thieves clothing.  A ram's horn is carefully embroidered upon it.  Need I remind you that a ram's horn is the primary charge upon the arms of Bordermarch?

The care and skill of the work shows that this man is not some gypsy come to relieve us of a few goods here and there as they pass through your lands.  As my dear friend warned me, I believe that we have been attacked, all of us, by those marauding bands from Bordermarch and are taking the best that this Barony has to offer back to their castle.  They will drink our best wines, make their food savory with our spices, gift their ladies with our jewels and give them silk threads with which to adorn their clothes.  They have our game to eat on their trek home and study a how-to book on waging more effective war and more weapons with which to wage it!

My friend from the coastal lands of Ansteorra stands in danger of losing her life if she is found out.  But I will echo her words to me once again.  She believes that there is one amongt us who has told these brigands what to look for.  How else would they know of the manuscript from Valerius?  Elfsea's lands are vast and the game keepers are keen.  How else could they have eluded their watchful eye?  Jewels and spices are kept safely for they are of great value.  They are not left out casually for everyone to see.  Our keep is high in the hills, far from many of our dear friends.  How did they know to come listen for the sounds of the hammers?

My hope is that their nocturnal visit to our keep was on their way out of our Barony, but I fear that many of our good gentles have not yet discovered their losses, for we are blessed with bounty in this land.

I fear for those who have travelled to Bryn Gwlad for their great festivities.  The blood red moon we saw earlier this week is waning, but still gives enough light to allow that lot to spot their pray upon the roads.  I have lit candles for the safe return of all who have ventured forth.

My lord husband, your Knight Marshal, stands at the ready.  We have but to hear your words to begin preparations for attack!

I remain in your service,
Honorable Lady Medb Liath