[Elfsea] Demos

DAMON HUSE dchuse at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 18 20:38:04 PDT 2004

I think here that doing children's programs is not just to entertain the children, but to plea with the adults that this **is** a very family oriented activity.  One in which, unlike other organized groups out there (Boy Scouts and Girls Scouts) , this is one that the entire family can do together.  Don't get me wrong I love my Cub Scout Den and I love my Girl Scout Troop and they do teach alot to the young children of today's generation, but the entire family can't particiapte together.

During each of the demo's I ever worked as Hospitaler (and even the one I've worked thereafter of stepping down) I have tried to stress all the fun our children have, the morals and history that they learn and all the things a family can do together inside and outside of events.  I use examples of my family,  "Yes, my son corrected his history teacher!"  or "My daughter has gone so far as teach her music teacher new songs to sing and they used them in their next production!"   This is a real turn on to parents nowadays...especially, single parents.

Sometimes, you may not hear from our demos immediately.  I saw the SCA for the first time **years** ago and forgot about it until Lady Elizabeth told me of the SCA and jogged my memory that I had seen the SCA at the Highland Games.  I waited 2 years until I had finished my schooling and then joined.

Rixende, doing Children's demos can be a baby-sitting job if it's not done right, but Donnel is right, too.  These children are our future, even if their parents aren't.

Maria

rixende at gmail.com writes:

"When we have been used in the past as part of the Children's programs,
we tend to become free entertainment for the Library, with little
return on our investment."

I am sorry. I have to disagree. You get a return on your investment. But that kind of investment takes years to mature and grow. A smart investor makes short and long term investments.  I have done children's library demos before. (All of Caddo parish libraries in 4 days) To see the children walking out with their arms filled with books related to knights and dragons and such was wonderful. That is how many of us started out and our interest grew. It is worth your while.

In closing I will say again. In remembering our past we must look to our future -the children.

In Service to the Children
In remembering our past we must look to our future.
Lady Maili Donnel MacGregor