[Elfsea] Elevation Thanks from Master White

Craig Shupee' philipwhite at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 23 17:18:28 PST 2005

Greeting All from Master Philip White, newly elevated member of the Order of
the Laurel.

I write this missive in order to give some public thanks to all the
incredible people who put forth so much effort at Steppes Twelfth Night and
over the past several months so that I might have a wonderful event and a
truly special vigil and elevation.  But this is not only my chance to show
appreciation for their work, but also an opportunity to bring their talents
and efforts into a public forum so that others than myself might recognize
their talents and ability among the arts as well as their selfless service.

My clothing was a significant undertaking.  You can imagine I am very much
in Elin’s debt for all her work on my elevation garb along with help from
Lady Aeryn, Lady Joscelyn de Viverais, Hanna Covel, Lady Sabina of Arkham,
Lord Eoien, and Cheryl. They worked endlessly on my doublet, trunkhose and
jerkin. Lady Lyonette van Leyden also finished my vigil garb which was an
awesome dressing gown (allowing me to yet again wear my underwear openly!).
I also spent most of the day wearing a blackwork cap (which I have always
loved) made by Honorable Lady Melisenda de Barcelona. Lord Maximillian
Schumacher also made me absolutely the best pair of shoes ever and they fit
perfectly.

Hopefully you had a chance to examine the regalia and scroll that was gifted
to me for my elevation.  They are certainly symbols of my new rank as a
peer, but more the work that these people put into them shows the principle
of any peerage.  First, even though Baroness Oriana Luisa della Francesca
could not make the event, she sent to me my laurelling scroll.  It is a
magnificent piece of illumination and more than I could have ever hoped for.
  Lady Aurelia Yverneau crafted and enameled an Elizabethan medallion which
now hangs from a ribbon spun and woven by Master Colin Severne. Both are
magnificent.  Baroness Ameline du Bois crafted a brass laurel wreath which
perfectly fits my flat cap.  And Honorable Lady Rixende de Rouen appliquéd a
very fetching laurelling cloak witch she and Mistress Signey put together on
very short notice.

Honorable Lady Monica de la Cueva and Honorable Lord Hans Faust dem herlat
are awesome people.  They told me I would have a fabulous vigil and that
they could take care of setting it up and making sure I was comfortable.
And they defiantly did that.  I didn’t have to stress about set up or tear
down.  It made my day much more relaxed and allowed me to enjoy a lot of
what was going on. People who helped them with set up or tear down – or let
me borrow supplies – included Lady Colete d'Evreux, Lady Genna, Sir Asoph
Hearts, Lord Eoien, Lady Aeryn, Lady Genevieve de Lironcourt, Lord Seamus O
Dubhda, Master Edwin FitzLloyd, Lady Elin, and Lady Sabine du Curtier.

I also thank my guards for my vigil, Lady Sabina of Arkham, Lady Layla
al-Tabrizi, and most especially Lady Honour du Bois who stood guard for me
the entire time and was most dedicated to my service.   She is a valuable
friend to make.

While visiting my vigil, hopefully you had a chance to sample my food that
was prepared by Lady Genevieve del Gamba. She prepared exactly what I wanted
and was in attendance most of the day to make sure all was in good order –
it was a lot of work she put into my day.  Also, Honorable Lady Melisenda de
Barcelona and Honorable Lady Katherine Rose Oliver made me a very suitable
subtlety which I hope you saw (I can’t repeat what it was in good company)
but it was delicious gingerbread.

Gustav Alf Blitzgarten made the cutest little cast mettle shoes for me, and
even carved in my initial.  I was able to pass them out to all the people
who visited me at my vigil, and it made a really good gift to give people.
They are pilgrim badges for people to remember my elevation and symbolize my
history with dance.

I want to thank the people who participated in my procession as well. Morgan
Buchanan was very kind to be my Herald.  I was proud to have my Baroness
Ameline du Bois and Baron Armand Dragonetti escort me into Court proceeded
by the Baronial ensign carried by Lady Honour du Bois and Lady Colete
d'Evreux. Baroness Alys Durivau and Countess Sara Penrose walked in my
flower girl, Little Vivian, while Alys sang. Honorable Lady Bianca della
Vittoria made an awesome personal banner for me.  That, along with my
regalia, were carried in by Lady Joselyn de Viverais, Lord Daniel of
Cameron, Sara Owien, and Hanna Covel. Master Jovianus Skleros and his Lady
wife were good enough to allow Elin and me to carry their beautiful birds
into Court on our arms.  The head of my household, Lady Gabrielle Renee de
Bernard was good enough to carry in our house banner.  Also, I wanted to
thank members of my household for passing out the prints during my elevation
including Deloris Mother of Daniel, Lord Maximillian, Lady Mary Theresa, and
Lord Philo Alexander. Lady Lyonette did an incredible job with the prints –
they were awesome. So much of the detail represents my experience within the
Kingdom and the society as a whole – so I really appreciate her skills at
being able to produce this art form for me to communicate to others.

During my ceremony, some people I really respect and care about spoke some
very kind words about me. I want to thank Countess Allyson Tymmes, Mistress
Serena Lascelles, Edwin FitzLloyd, Sit Arenvald Kief av Kiersted, Duchess
Elena de Neuham, Baron Abd al-Mahdi Jamal ibn Hakim and Baroness Valeria
Richila Navarro. I especially would like to thank Countess Sara Penrose, one
for always being a loyal and trustworthy friend, and two saying such kind
words to me that she made me cry during my elevation. I would also like to
thank Master Cassius Domitius Lepus, Mistress Cassandra Louise Marchand and
Master Oxlade Lachlan MacKinnon for presenting the Crown with the symbols of
the Order, the medallion, cloak, and wreath.

Finally, I thank My Lady Queen Sibri de Aldebourne and my Lord King Quintus
Aurelius Dracontius for granting me the mantel of responsibility for this
order as well as conferring this honor upon me. I also thank my Baron and
Baroness of the Steppes and my Baron and Baroness of Elfsea for their
personal support as well as the support of their subjects.  I would also
like to thank the Order and their Peers who have given so much of themselves
so that I might grow as an artist and more importantly as a person. Finally,
I want to thank my friends and family who have supported me throughout this
experience.  In particular, my lady Elin the Timid who has been more of a
friend and a consort than many could ever expect from one person.

Your Servant to Command,
~P.W.