[Youth-combat] RE: [Elfsea] RE: [Steppes] Fwd:[Ansteorra]YouthfulCombatants

Michael of Langley michaeloflangley at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 13 20:39:22 PST 2005

Larissa,

I am currently a heavy fighter.
I have fought in Gulf War and two Gothic Wars.
I have 5 youth combat fighters (4 of which are active - the 7 year old likes
to play with her friends).
I have been an active fighter in a shield wall and have led several charges
as well as bridge battles, etc.
I have charged a shield wall to defend archers and crossbowman by myself to
allow them to escape (got 3 and the other 8 got me... ;) )

I am not trying to rain on anyones parade - but I feel that if the young
fighters are going to compete with the adults (after being authorized by the
K.E.Marshal):

1. A parent or legal guardian or responsible family member (who can
authorize immediate medical attention if neccessary) needs to be present IN
CASE there is a problem.

2. The youth need to be able to be identified on the melee/tournament field
- that way honorable, responsible fighters who are well trained will
recognize an up and coming fighter and will fight accordingly and know how
hard to throw their shots. This can be accomplished by helmet markings or
something VERY obvious.  Personally, I would not want to be the fighter who,
being amped up and in the heat of battle, throws a blow that injures a young
fighter because they were of a smaller stature or were not fully mature yet,
even though they are authorized to fight.

3. The adults still need to be an active participant and have the FINAL
decision on whether or not their youth should participate against a certain
opponent or in a certain battle.  Our youth do not always have the best
judgement and until they are legal age, it is our responsibility to look out
for their best interests whether we want to or not - the parent is the one
who is responsible for their youth.

4. Parents have the final decision battle by battle tournament by
tournament, and if neccessary, fighter by fighter.

I simply want the parents to be aware of things that can happen. I've seen
cup shots with fiberglass spears, fighters continually hit after they have
shouted (as best they could) "good!" but were not heard, and fighters hit so
hard they almost needed to be carried off the field.  No parent wants to see
this happen to their child.

It has been said that all of the SCA is moving to this standard - well, what
if the entire society is wrong in this decision and in 3 months it results
in 37 youth injuries, 3 of which cause permanent paralyzation?  What do we
say then,  - "well, everyone else was doing that...". That won't be much
comfort to someone who will never walk again...

Be aware, be informed, be involved and make your own decisions about your
youth.  If the decision is made that they can fight - its still the PARENTS
responsibility to make the FINAL decision - not the youth's, or peer
pressure or kids whining till they get there way. Be strong, be courageous
and be a parent.

"...Faith is daring the soul to believe what the eyes cannot see..."

Lord Michael of Langley
Squire to Sir Corwin von Xanten and Sir Anton Qwith
Southern Regional Youth Marshal