[Elfsea] RE: [Steppes] Blogs?

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Thu May 12 05:34:54 PDT 2005

I never thought I would say this of you, your Grace, but the views you
stated are, IMHO, a bit naïve. Indeed, if the blog is only available to
those who have been given an access code and those are well screened, then
they are somewhat private. But some of the ones that have been a problem
were open to the public. This ceases to be a diary and becomes a publication
of sorts. It is not a private letter, but a newspaper. When that happens is
a matter of judgment - 2 people, 10 people, the world?

Second, if one is a leader in a group, everything we do or say in public
reflects on that group. If you say in your blog you don't like the Baron,
that is relatively safe. If you declare you are upset by the lack of child
porn available to you, that is still your opinion, is still within the law
(assuming you have none now and don't try to get some), but most of us would
not want you to be a leader in our group anymore. I know the Boy Scouts
would drop you like a hot potato. You can't say that private thoughts on
display should not affect our treatment of the writer of those thoughts.
Again, it is a matter of judgment when the thoughts are so upsetting they
overflow into our evaluation of that person as a leader.

I do believe most bloggers do not intend to keep their views private, but
intend to share them with a larger group - sometimes the world. As in
everything else we do, we have responsibility for our actions. Publishing
our thoughts makes us responsible for the results of that publishing.

In service,
Caelin on Andrede