[Elfsea] Blogging

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Tue May 10 12:57:51 PDT 2005

I don't do a blog myself and read them only rarely, but I believe they are another valid form of communication. According to the political pundits, some of the blogs are the best researched "journalism" around.

> Just trying to get some info.

> What is the appeal of Blogs?

Some of the appeal is being able to publish your views, information you've discovered, etc with little or no cost and possibly have really wide distribution. Our former Baron, Sir Galen, had an opinion column he flogged to a variety of small newspapers. I cannot speak for him, but I expect he hoped to change a few opinions, put out his viewpoints eloquently, and perhaps make some money in the process. Blogs don't typically make money (except by advertising on their web sites), but they meet all the other criteria and cost essentially nothing.

> Do people who have Blogs think that no one will read them and put their own spin on things?

Most bloggers hope others will read their opinions and respond to them on their blog. Most are interactive exchanges as opposed to diaries.

> What do you do if someone takes your blog out of context?

You copyright the information in a prominent place on the web site. If someone takes you out of context and you object, you can use the copyright to force them to retract and stop using your data.

> How do you let someone know if something on a blog hurts you?

Respond on their blog. They may or may not care. If it is not slander or liable, you cannot make them stop (freedom of speech).

> Personally I would much rather talk to people on the phone or in person or write my private thoughts in a diary than something that can be accessed by anyone with a internet connection.

Some people want their communications to be fairly private. Others like the limelight. It is a matter of personal style.

> Do you think that Officers, nobles, peers etc should be held to higher standard on a blog? If so why?

I believe people who are seen to represent a group (the SCA, the Boy Scouts, etc) can be held to a reasonable standard for their behavior on blogs by the group. You choose to become a representative of the group. You can always decide not to be a representative if the cost to your freedom is too great. I think the group has a right to expect you to be truthful, respectful, and above board in your discussions about them - in a blog or any other media.

> Perhaps these are easy or hard questions. Just trying to figure out the whole Blog concept and idea.

Search the web for info on blogs and blogging. There is much to absorb and I certainly am not an expert in this area.

> If problems arise from a blog comment what do you think is the best way to correct that situation?

Depends on the problem. If your prior comments imply someone's feelings are hurt or someone posts a message while an officer of an SCA group that is at best unflattering to the group, then those who feel they have transgressed should communicate with them and express their expectations and feelings. If there is no change, those persons should decide if it is worth communicating with the blogger's superiors in the group.

> Looking forward to the commentary.

> Richard Fairbourne

Caelin on Andrede