[Elfsea] Blogs?

Estella Flather eflather at flash.net
Wed May 11 11:59:57 PDT 2005

Greetings from Mistress Stella-
Here are my feelings about blogs:

What is the appeal of Blogs?
I can see where a blog could be a fun and helpful way of communicating with
friends and relatives. However, people do not seem to use them that way.
People use them to complain and whine about other people being mean to them
and talk badly about other people behind their backs. I have seen many
people get into all kinds of trouble because things they posted on the
internet, even in supposedly closed lists, were sent to other people
including the person who had been maligned. Posting nasty stuff about other
people on the internet is not only mean spirited and unchivalrous it is also
stupid. I think that the way people are currently using blogs is evil and
detrimental to everyone involved.

Do people who have Blogs think that no one will read them and put their
own spin on things?
I think it is amazing that people who complained about other people saying
mean things on their blogs now have blogs of their own where they are saying
mean things about other people. That is incredibly mean and stupid.

What do you do if someone takes your blog out of context?
I don't have a blog. However, people are always taking things I say out of
context or misinterpreting what I say to give it their own spin. That seems
to be human nature and no matter how clear you try to be people may not hear
or understand what you really are trying to say.

How do you let someone know if something on a blog hurts you?
I do not read people's blogs, so I don't know what they are saying about me.
It's probably mean and evil, so I'd rather not know.

Do you think that Officers, nobles, peers etc should be held to higher
standard on a blog? If so why?
Unfortunately, yes. Peers and Nobles statements have much more impact, that
is one of the things I try to convey to people at their vigils.

About communication in general-
While I try to be as supportive as possible when talking to others, I am not
perfect and not always the greatest communicator, so if I hurt someone's
feelings, I'm sorry. I don't ever want or mean to hurt anyone's feelings. On
the other hand, sometimes people can be way too sensitive about things.
People need to remember that we are people too and not perfect. I just want
people to have fun playing this game. We can't have SCA events to enjoy
unless everyone comes out and helps and contributes, whether by volunteering
or just by coming out and being there. So lets all give each other a break
and not think the worst about every little thing.

If problems arise from a blog comment what do you think is the best way
to correct that situation?
The person who made the comment should apologize. You could follow the
Elfsea rule I keep harping on- If you have a problem with someone talk to
them directly about it. You would be surprised how many times the person
says (in a surprised tone of voice) "They said I said what! I certainly
didn't mean that."

In service to the people of Ansteorra, the Barony of Elfsea and the Kingdom
of Ansteorra,
HE Stella

P.S. You people are giving me a stomach ache, please play nicer with each
other.