[Elfsea] fWas Defender web site

Greg Shetler frayduck at comcast.net
Wed Aug 16 07:44:15 PDT 2006

I wish there were, Your Grace.  It seems e-mails tend more to be read as
either negative, sarcastic and harsh or saccharine and insincere (or some
other extreme) and less often as anything neutral or courteous.

I did a paper on this subject last quarter.  Even with the expanding use of
emoticons, parenthetical emotive comments (e.g. <grimace at my own
awkwardness of phrase>), and even embedded voice or video, e-mail continues
to be a medium that is often interpreted more by the mood of the reader than
by the intent of the writer.

Which, of course, underscores your other point about the value of direct,
person-to-person communication.

Dux