[Elfsea] Armand at Bordermarch

Tomas Niallagain siortomas at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 06:40:33 PST 2006

Ah Your excellency Crandell,
You are correct in spirit but you are mixing titles with forms of address.
If you walk up to Robin of Gilwell, and want to speak to him on a matter
concerning Rapier then you address him the same, " Your Excellency, may I
speak with you" or if you want to give him an idea what you actually want to
talk to him about then" Your excellency Don Robin, may I have a word with
you about..."  The form of address is "Your Excellency", just as it is for
you.  Now anyone who actually has multiple titles or even multiple levels of
Rank (peerages and nobility) is not very likely to correct you if you
address them in the less than most correct manner.  After all to have them
they have been around for a while and understand the intent.  It is just, as
heralds, we should strive to educate those who don't know in the most
correct manner. Of course when someone new asks me at an event what to call
the people with coronets on their head, I tell them that "Your Excellency"
will be right most of the time and then teach them how to identify the
Prince& Princess if we have them and the Crowns.  That is, of course, for
the expedience of the event for the day, and I tell them that I can show
them later, when they are more comfortable being around how do identify all
of the different types of coronets. No need for information overload at
their first event.  Yes I know that Duchy's are entitled to "Your grace" but
they still have County's and they understand if Joe Newguy is calling them
"Your excellency".  I remain

ever in service

Sior Tomas

ps... adamantly trying to stuff the protocol herald back in his box

pps.  Your Excellency Ameline, make it an apple cider and I will be very
happy. (Woodchuck dark and dry)