[Elfsea] Armand at Bordermarch

Tomas Niallagain siortomas at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 10:01:32 PST 2006

I am just pointing out the difference between forms of address and titles,
as they really are two different things.  Another example lets use an
extreme,   His Majestry Aaron, King of Ansteorra.  His title is King, while
the form of addess is "Your Majesty".  If you were to approuch him and call
him King Aaron, it would just sound really odd, since "King" is his title
not a form of address.  Calling him "Sir", since he is a knight too, is very
inappropriate as until the end of the reign he IS the King.  Lets take
another example more in line with the rapier list example you gave,  Duke
Miguel de Oporto.  The proper form of address is "Your Grace", his title of
use is his choice on the field, should you wish to address him and give him
a warning what it is about : Rapier - you could use Don, chivalric: you
could use Sir, or general courtliness: Duke, when conjoined all thre would
be as follows:
Your Grace Don Miguel
Your Grace Sir Miguel
Your Grace Duke Miguel
and always appropriate
Your Grace Miguel, since titles are not necessary when addressing someone
anyway.

Likewise forms of address are not necessary when referring to an individual
to a 3rd party, rather in that instance you should use the greatest title.
example:  Duke Miguel is an accomplished fighter on any field.

Tomas

ps Donnel, I am not as new as you may think I am,  I lived in 2 kingdoms
before calling Ansteorra my home.  I also started in AS 19, then took a long
break.  Of course I believe courtesy is ageless.