[Elfsea] Fighter Practice thoughts

Estella Flather eflather at flash.net
Sun Jan 7 17:10:50 PST 2007

MessageGreetings from Mistress Stella-
  Do the Baron or Baroness need to be at more practices?
  I think Armand, at least, should come to practice. He needs the practice!

   Should we have only one practice a week?

  No.

  Do we need to stop having fighter practice for the winter?

  No. Some weekends, if Christmas or New Years are on Sunday or Monday, may
need to be cancelled, but that should be decided well in advance and
published in the newsletter and on the Elfsea calendar.

  Do we have to have practice at a park, or could we do it at peoples
houses?

  People's houses are not as inclusive as a public park. For a privately
sponsored practice, houses are fine, but newcomers may be reluctant to come
to someones home.

   Could one family a month sponsor practice?

  What do you mean by that? Practices should be the responsibility of the
Baronial Marshals. We also need to be careful about making sure that we
follow Kingdom policy on having authorized marshals present and waivers
signed.

  Could we have other things with fighter practice?

  Anyone can do other stuff at practice. However, the main goal of fighter
practice is to practice fighting. When I am there I am fighting, and not
available to help with other things.

  Business meeting and fighter practice combined?

  Nope. I'm fighting, I can't be in a meeting and fighting at the same time.
I have yet to figure out how to split myself into half-a-dozen people so I
can be many places at one time.

   A&S and fighter practice combined?

  Nope, I'm fighting. See above. If people want to bring A&S or teach
classes they can do it, but most people would rather not bring all their
books and delicate projects out into a windy dirty park. When we have tried
this before the class-type things didn't work very well, but just bringing a
simple project that can be shared with those watching practice seems to work
better. Easy projects that people can take home might get people started in
a new art form.

  Do we need to have a mini tourney one a month?

  This is where sponsors could help. However, a mini-tourney doesn't really
help the newest fighters who need to have some lessons to get them to where
they can have fun in a tourney.

  Can a Knight or Don be a deputy?

  Of course they can.

  Have you helped to support the fighter practice?

  Yes.

   Have fighters supported what you do?

  Not really.

  I would like for there to be a deputy for Armored combat and a deputy for
Rapier Combat who can take over for the Elfsea Marshal if they are sick or
at a far-off event. I would also like for any cancellations or changes in
practice to be published in advance in the newsletter, on the calendar and
announced at Moot. I would like for the Marshals to be at Moot and Business
meeting as well as at announced practices. By the way, an official practice
requires a warranted officer of the barony and a person who is an authorized
marshal for the type of fighting being done. So even if there is an
appointed deputy present, there still needs to be a warranted officer and a
person who can marshal. If practice is held regularly, and people are there
on time more people will show up.

      For whoever was the other person to come to practice today, sorry. But
I did get out of the car, and I did look around to see if there were other
Elfsea people there for practice before I went home. Of course we couldn't
have had a practice because there was not a warranted Elfsea officer
present.

      In service, HE Stella