[Elfsea] Fighter Practice thoughts

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Sun Jan 7 13:54:22 PST 2007

I am sorry that you both needed to cancel; I know the marshal offices are
hard. I want all of our officers to know I support you.

 I hope the rest of the barony feels the same and perhaps someone can help
you by becoming a deputy, to either of you.

I will let all of Elfsea know I was spoken to by four people who spoke of
our sad attendance and support of fighter practices.

I could not discuss the matter because I have not gone to practice, Wen. Or
Sun.

Please think about these questions:

Do the Baron or Baroness need to be at more practices?

It would help build support for the practices.

Should we have only one practice a week?

I would prefer we do both, but if we can only support one, then let it be
so.

Do we need to stop having fighter practice for the winter?

We cannot have a successful fighting program that way. Fighters need to
practice once a week to have a chance to stay at the current level. Twice a
week will allow them to progress to the next level. Three times a week puts
them on the track to excellence.

Do we have to have practice at a park, or could we do it at peoples houses?

Parks or other public places provide an opportunity to recruit. Practicing
at people's homes do not. It is also harder to handle the variability in the
number who show up. We sometimes have 1-2 show up and sometimes 50. Most of
us do not have yards that support 50 fighters.

Could one family a month sponsor practice?

It could happen, but I would recommend against it.

Could we have other things with fighter practice?

I would be very pleased to see some A&S, Heraldry, or other SCA related
activities going on at Fighter Practice and would support such with my time.

Business meeting and fighter practice combined?

We have tried that before and it did not work well, but we could try it
again. Part of the problem is people wanted to fight instead of meet and if
the weather was bad, we still needed the meeting.

A&S and fighter practice combined?

The A&S meetings are mostly training classes and most are not suited to
working in a park or other public place. If we used a park were there is an
indoor area with electricity we might be able to do some of them and that
would be good for attracting new A&S oriented members.

Do we need to have a mini tourney one a month?

That has worked well in the past.

Can a Knight or Don be a deputy?

Anyone can be a deputy, though someone who has a Marshal card would be
preferred.

Have you helped to support the fighter practice?

I've been a few times in the last 3-4 months. But no one else showed up each
time.

Have fighters supported what you do?

Sometimes.

If you choose to answer any of these things please do so with kindness and
in a manner to help. I do not want to cause any hurt feelings.

This is our group, Elfsea can do great things if we want to. But we need to
WANT to.

Ameline you Baroness who has not been to practice in ages.

  _____