[Elfsea] Heraldic news!

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Mon May 7 08:40:54 PDT 2007

The following passed at Laurel. Several are from our Barony and region.
Caelin

ANSTEORRA

Alessandra Leoncini. Name and device. Per chevron embattled argent and
gules, two sheaves of arrows gules and a lion's head cabossed Or.

Ascelyn of Glentewrde. Name and device. Per bend sinister gules and Or, a
unicorn argent and a rose gules.

Catalina Isabel de Silva. Name.

Christopher Summerset. Name.

Originally submitted as Christopher Summerset, the name was changed at
kingdom to Christopher Sumerset because no documentation was found to
support a spelling of the byname with two ms. Wreath notes several gray area
forms with the double-m from ancestry.com "Parish and Probate Records." The
records in question do not appear to be normalized, and so are appropriate
for use in this case. We have changed the name back to the originally
submitted form.

Eilína ingen Ascaill. Name.

Submitted as Eilína ingen Ascaidh, no documentation was given and none found
to suggest that Ascaidh was a period form for the patronymic. The
documentation, MacLysaght The Surnames of Ireland, s.n. Caskey, suggests
that it is a form of the Norse name Askell. Reaney and Wilson, A Dictionary
of English Surnames, s.n. MacCaskey, suggest that Ascaidh is a Gaelic
diminutive of Askell. However, we have found no examples of such a
diminutive in Irish annals, strongly suggesting that the Gaelic form in
MacLysaght is modern. The Annals of Ulster have the name Ascall in 1172; the
orthography of this set of annals is Middle Irish, which is consistent with
form of the patronymic particle used in this name. We have changed the name
to Eilína ingen Ascaill in order to register it.

This name mixes Old Norse and Gaelic; this is one step from period practice.
We have found no forms of the name Eilína or similar sounding names in
Middle Irish. However, if the submitter is interested in a fully Old Norse
form of this name, we suggest Eilína Áskels dóttir. We note that a fully Old
Norse name would be the appropriate form for a Norse woman living in Viking
Dublin or Wexford.

Elisabeth Pendarvis. Name and device. Gules, a chevron inverted sable
fimbriated between three round buckles one and two argent.

Elspeth de Stervlen. Name.

Geoffrey Tailor. Device. Or, on a bend between six anchors vert in dexter
chief a fish Or.

Gerhart Wolfgang der Rote. Name.

Jaquelinne Marguerite de la Ryver. Name.

The submitter requested authenticity for 13th-14th C but accepted minor
changes only. While the submitted name is registerable, there are two issues
with its potential authenticity. First, the given names Jaquelinne and
Marguerite are French while the byname is Anglo-Norman or English. The
spelling Ryver is well attested in England, but, so far, we have found no
examples in France. Second, double given names are rare in France until the
end of the 16th C; we have no examples of this practice during the 13th-14th
C. For an authentic name for this period, we suggest dropping one of the
given names and substituting an attested French form for the byname. While
we have been unable to find a form of the byname in the 13th-14th C,
Aryanhwy merch Catmael, "French Names from Paris, 1421, 1423, & 1438",
(http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/paris1423.html), shows the
spelling de la Riviere in 1421. Jaquelinne de la Riviere or Marguerite de la
Riviere are both fine late 14th-early 15th C French names. We would change
the name to one of these forms, but the submitter will not accept major
changes such as dropping a name element or changing the language of an
element.

Lennán mac Neill. Name and device. Vert, three tridents argent.

Submitted as Leannán MacNeil, no documentation was submitted and none found
to suggest that the Early Modern Irish name Leannán was used in period as a
given name. Ó Corrain and Maguire, Irish Names, s.n. Lennán, date the Middle
Irish form to the beginning of the 10th C, but provide no later dates. We
have been unable to find this name in the Irish annals after 1200 except as
a true surname, which suggest that it fell out of use as a given name before
this period. Therefore, the given name is only registerable in its Middle
Irish form, Lennán. However, there is a more than 300 year gap between the
915 date for the given name and the 1329 date for the byname; combined with
the fact that the name mixes Gaelic and English, such a change would render
the name unregisterable. Fortunately, the submitter will accept all changes
such as changing the language of an element. Mari Elspeth nic Bryan, "Index
to Names in Irish Annals", shows the given name Niall in 971 and 978 in
Middle Irish contexts. The appropriate patronymic form would be mac Neill.
We have changed the name to Lennán mac_Neill, a fully 10th C Irish form, in
order to register it.

Please advise the submitter to draw the tridents thicker.

Miguel Sebastian da Oporto. Badge. (Fieldless) In pale a phoenix gules,
issuant from a goblet Or.

Roulant Marat. Name and device. Per bend Or and sable, a tower gules and a
tree blasted argent.

Submitted as Roulant fitz Marat, there was some question whether the surname
Marat was derived from a personal name. Dauzat and Rostaing, Dictionnaire
Etymologique des Noms de Lieux de la France s.n. Marat, says that the name
is a variant of Marana. They derive the name Marana from the given name
Marus with an added suffix. However, while Marat is a modern day placename
derived from this name, there is no evidence to suggest that Marat, as
opposed to Marus, was a given name in period. Because Marat does not appear
to be a given name, using it with the Anglo-Norman modifier fitz "son" is
incorrect. We have changed the name to Roulant_Marat in order to register
it.

Sean Cannan. Device. Or, on a bend sinister between two flames gules, a
sword proper.

Wolfger von Eisenstadt. Name and device. Or, a wolf rampant azure, on a
chief sable three crosses formy Or.

Xene Theriane. Alternate name Ximena Grifón de Mendoça.