[Elfsea] Why people are not staying

Crystal Lewis ladygwensca at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 3 10:12:51 PDT 2008

Before I begin I have to admit...I was not keen on responding to your email with what I'm about to say. Mainly for fear of the repercussions and the feeling of dislike I get every time I show up to an event these days. I do have to admit Willow...I completely agree with you. We are being split, moreso each day, into the important and the not-so important. The most painful example for me being the total disrespect shown to my pavilion just this past weekend. My mundane friends came as spectators to what I consider one of the most beautiful events the Ansteorran kingdom has to offer. We sat at the back so as to not interfere. An officer of the barony came to my guests and said "you must put on garb or else". Honestly I flat out told the officer "no" (she wanted to "escort" us immediately) but said I would discuss it with them. They had no desire to put on garb; they just wanted to watch for a few minutes. The officers then preceded to run my guests out of
 the event with the direct statement of "your presence here is ruining our ambiance". Never have I been more ashamed of this society then at that moment; I don't care if it was a high persona event, it was exceptionally rude and uncalled for. I tear up even now thinking of it.

I'll admit I don't play much right now. Having a baby will do that to you, but that doesn't mean I'm not here. And that doesn't mean I don't care. It takes each and every one of us to make the right decision about how we conduct ourselves. Sometimes we succeed; sometimes we fail. Consistently treating people like lesser humans because they don't have rank or their presence isn't perfect only serves to make our numbers decrease and our reputation diminish. Hopefully one day we won't have to have this discussion anymore.

With a heavy heart but still trying to live the dream,
Lady Gwen verch Cynwrig de Ynys Mon

On a lighter note...being the newest Queen of Love and Beauty...I could organize a party...let me know if interested...