[Elfsea] Why people are not staying

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Fri Jun 6 19:02:57 PDT 2008

Well said. Well thought out.

Caelin

From: elfsea-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org
[mailto:elfsea-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org] On Behalf Of Susan McMahill
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2008 15:15 PM
To: Barony of Elfsea
Subject: Re: [Elfsea] Why people are not staying

Greetings,

I have been out of town at my son's high school graduation in Oregon and
have just gotten caught up on my email reading. I was quite surprised and
disappointed to read this thread. As one of the Autocrats for Warlord XXXV,
I feel compelled to respond.

There have been several issues presented in this thread and related ones. 1.
Nothing planned in the evening; 2. Dead time. 3. Private parties and/or
vigils;  4. Cliques; 5. Us vs. them; 6. Leaving early; and 7. Thanks. I will
respond to each as briefly as I can.

 1. Nothing planned in the evening. - Steppes Bardic almost always happens
on Saturday evening. There was no one who volunteered to run anything in the
evening other than those involved in the Celevigil and the Hafla. As it was,
the Hafla really didn't happen. If you want activities in the evening,
please have them. I posted several posts to the Ansteorran and Steppes list
inviting folks who wanted to include activities to notify me so that we
could schedule them. The only folks I heard from got their activities
scheduled.

2. Dead time - I actually laughed when I read this because we have
complaints every year from folks who are upset because there are so many
activities that are up against one another they have to choose one over
another. This year we had two archery activities that had to be cancelled
before the event and another that unfortunately was cancelled due to no one
showing up to participate until well after the activity was scheduled to
begin. There were no 'teas' nor A & S displays because no one came forth to
run them. As an autocrat, it is my responsiblity to ensure that the
championship events occur...Steppes Warlord, Steppes Champion, and Steppes
Archer. All other activities occur if there are people to run them. This
year we had no marshals come forward to run Steppes Thrown Weapons or
Steppes Children's Boffer Activities. The autocrat team asked several
individuals if they would be interested in doing these things and were told
'no' by all of them. Published notices on the Kingdom lists also went
unanswered.

3. Private parties/vigils - Technically the Celevigil WAS a 'private' party.
Because there would be alcohol served at the party, the Barony cannot have
any connection to it. We knew it was happening and had a security person
pass through occasionally, but that was all we could do. It could not be in
the gate handout. Sir Hrafn did have a vigil and received the advice and
counsel of his Chivalric brothers. Count Gunthar had his Laureling
celebration and much food and alcohol was enjoyed. They were both in close
proximity, but I have not heard that the vigil was far from others as far as
what it entailed. I will admit that I have not been to other Knight's
vigils, but I have been to other Laurel and Pelican vigils and at none of
them have I seen the drunkeness that was implied in describing vigils.
Because Gunthar and Hrafn are friends, the decision was made to combine the
events so that people did not have to choose one over the other to either
help with or attend. I admire them for their choice. It would have been so
easy to be selfish and say that 'my' vigil/party is more important than
'his' party/vigil.

I know for a fact that everyone in the camping area was invited to the
Celevigil because Duke Miguel and others came around the campground and
personally invited all they saw to join them. They stopped at the autocrat
camping area and then went on to other camps. I heard them ask several
groups to join them. When I last saw them, they were going toward the Bardic
Competition. I don't know how much more invite folks need without a
handwritten invitation. There were enough notices on the e-lists that it was
hard to not know what was going on.

4. Cliques - As long as there have been more than two people in this world,
there have been cliques. There is very little that can be done about these.
I have close friends in several 'groups.' Some of these groups do not get
along with others or with individuals that I consider friends in those
groups. I try to be on friendly terms with all of them. There are some folks
I just don't get along with...that's perfectly normal and acceptable. If you
are having difficulties with a group, maybe you should find out why instead
of just assuming that the whole group is an issue.

When I moved to Steppes 6 years ago, I was received warmly by everyone I
met. Eventually, I made good friends of some folks and others were relegated
to acquaintance status. Our friends are those we have similar interests,
experiences, and close relationships with. It is impossible to be a close
friend to everyone. That doesn't mean that my close friends are a clique or
that we are not open to widening our circle of close friends, but it may
mean that a newcomer has to make an effort to become more than an
acquaintance. I will make every effort to be friendly to newcomers, but it
takes serious work and time to become friends. It took me a couple of years
to really consider many people in the Steppes or in the rest of Ansteorra to
be my friends. There are some folks that I tried to be friendly with that I
discovered I really didn't want as close friends and others that I didn't
hit it off with at first that are now very good friends. To come into a
group and expect to become integrated fully within less than a year is
unrealistic. It takes work, time, and dedication. When I came here, I was
brand new to the SCA and didn't know a soul in the DFW area save for my
sister. I now consider Steppes and Ansteorra my SCA home, though my heart is
still in the pacific northwest.

5. Us v. them -As Lady Irina stated so beautifully, this is largely a matter
of perception. One can only be offended if one chooses to take offense. One
can take a chip from one's shoulder, or one can parade it proudly. If one
chooses to wear his/her chip, one should not be surprised to find oneself on
the outside of things, or being avoided. People are very uncomfortable with
people carrying chips

I have never been made to feel inferior or inadequate by anyone in Ansteorra
who wears a brass hat. On the contrary, one of my biggest joys and surprises
was when Baron Fritz gave me a huge hug at the first Steppes activity I
attended, and when I dared to speak to King Patrick Michael and Queen Julia,
they were most gracious. At the few activities I had been able to attend in
An Tir, I had been entirely unnoticed by anyone of save for Sir Brand, who
taught the classes I attended at the University of Ithra there.

I would bet that most of the divide that has been mentioned around here is
largely assumptive. Unfortunately there is a problem with making
assumptions...you know, that old colloquialism about making an ass out of
you and me.

6. I would like to address the issue about people leaving early. This is
something we, as autocrats wrestled with a great deal. We had asked to move
the Warlord competition to Sunday and were told no. Sunday evening is the
best time to have parties, as all of the primary activities are finished. I
know many folks who will not drink alcohol and retire early until their
primary activity is completed. I know that when I am running archery
activities, I do not drink on Saturday or Sunday until after the archery
range is shut down. Unfortunately, for the last several years, more and more
people are deciding to leave Sunday....all day.

This year, it was the heat that was the primary motivator for the exodus
(last year it was the rain). Virtually everyone I asked why they were
leaving early said that they couldn't handle any more heat. I couldn't argue
with them. This year we made certain that we hired the hall all day Sunday
as well as the extended day on Saturday. As much as we would love to extend
Sunday, too, the cost is too prohibitive.

Now, it's lovely that once upon a time there were all kinds of things
happening even though it was 108 degrees (I believe that's what Her Grace
said), but our population has gotten older since those days. I would be
willing to bet that the average age of participants has increased by about
10-15 years since then. We can't handle the heat as well at our ages and the
influx of newcomers from out of the area aren't acclimated to it and may
never get there. We had a heat index of 106 at Warlord this year. The fact
that there was very little in the line of heat-related illness is a credit
to the chiurgeonate and the water bearers....and to the populace.

We have gotten smarter about taking care of ourselves since the early days
of Ansteorra. Our armor is better, our weapons safer, we spend a lot more
attention to staying hydrated, keeping our electrolytes in balance and
keeping as cool as possible. We also have learned that alcohol and spending
the day in the heat isn't a great idea. Many of us retire to our camps to
restore ourselves so that we may participate fully the next day. That's part
of why you don't see all the parties that you used to. We eat and drink
sensibly and retire so that we don't end up sick and unable to enjoy the
next day.

7. Thanks - I try to say thanks to all who help me with any activity I
undertake. I miss people frequently. Usually, I think that I have said so
already, but also there are so many, I simply forget. They have my undying
gratitude, I simply forgot to include their name....or didn't know it.

I know that I have forgotten to thank many for their help at Warlord. There
were so many....I got as many as I could when I made my thank you post, but
there were names that were omitted, I am sure, for the reasons above.

I volunteer a lot, too much, my husband says. I am currently forbidden to
volunteer for anything for a while. Sometimes I get thanked, sometimes I do
not. I know that my work is appreciated nonetheless, but that the
person/group I am helping sometimes gets overwhelmed by the reasons above. I
never, ever expect to be thanked. I volunteer so that an event, which I am
going to participate in, takes place and runs more smoothly. I am
benefitting from the experience both of my doing, and from the event itself.
I gain no matter what. I should be thanking the person/group because I am
getting the greater benefit. I sometimes forget that thank you, too,
unfortunately.

For those of you, my cousins, who came to Warlord this year, and for those
that helped out in any way....Thank you! It was an amazing experience. This
was my first foray into autocratting and I learned so much, both about
myself, and about the process of stewarding an event. I thank you for the
opportunity.

In service,

Lady Lyneya de Grey

co-Autocrat, Warlord XXXV

Well-behaved women Seldom make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

  _____