[Elfsea] Why people are not staying

Michelle Dodd lygabrielerdb at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 6 17:46:21 PDT 2008

re 2 points with my replies after each;

From: sueorintx at hotmail.comTo: elfsea at lists.ansteorra.orgDate: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 15:14:50 -0500Subject: Re: [Elfsea] Why people are not staying

Greetings, I have been out of town at my son's high school graduation in Oregon and have just gotten caught up on my email reading. I was quite surprised and disappointed to read this thread. As one of the Autocrats for Warlord XXXV, I feel compelled to respond. There have been several issues presented in this thread and related ones. 1. Nothing planned in the evening; 2. Dead time. 3. Private parties and/or vigils;  4. Cliques; 5. Us vs. them; 6. Leaving early; and 7. Thanks. I will respond to each as briefly as I can.
snip  5. Us v. them -As Lady Irina stated so beautifully, this is largely a matter of perception. One can only be offended if one chooses to take offense.
snip
I have never been made to feel inferior or inadequate by anyone in Ansteorra who wears a brass hat. On the contrary, one of my biggest joys and surprises was when Baron Fritz gave me a huge hug at the first Steppes activity I attended, and when I dared to speak to King Patrick Michael and Queen Julia, they were most gracious.
snip
I would bet that most of the divide that has been mentioned around here is largely assumptive. Unfortunately there is a problem with making assumptions...you know, that old colloquialism about making an ass out of you and me.

A very intelligent lady, by the name of Elenore Roosevelt, once said, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."  I agree with this so much that I got the bumpersticker.
 6. I would like to address the issue about people leaving early. This is something we, as autocrats wrestled with a great deal. We had asked to move the Warlord competition to Sunday and were told no. Sunday evening is the best time to have parties, as all of the primary activities are finished. I know many folks who will not drink alcohol and retire early until their primary activity is completed. I know that when I am running archery activities, I do not drink on Saturday or Sunday until after the archery range is shut down. Unfortunately, for the last several years, more and more people are deciding to leave Sunday....all day. This year, it was the heat that was the primary motivator for the exodus (last year it was the rain). Virtually everyone I asked why they were leaving early said that they couldn't handle any more heat. I couldn't argue with them. This year we made certain that we hired the hall all day Sunday as well as the extended day on Saturday. As much as we would love to extend Sunday, too, the cost is too prohibitive.  snip

I usually stay thru Monday and am one of the last to leave. I have even been one of the people asking why and where people are going. I was one of the ones leaving on Sunday this year. It wasn't because of the heat or a lack of things to do. I left because my mother wanted to do something together on Memorial Day. Sometimes we just need to remember what Day we are playing on.
7. Thanks - I try to say thanks to all who help me with any activity I undertake. I miss people frequently. Usually, I think that I have said so already, but also there are so many, I simply forget. They have my undying gratitude, I simply forgot to include their name....or didn't know it.
snip
 For those of you, my cousins, who came to Warlord this year, and for those that helped out in any way....Thank you! It was an amazing experience. This was my first foray into autocratting and I learned so much, both about myself, and about the process of stewarding an event. I thank you for the opportunity. In service, Lady Lyneya de Grey co-Autocrat, Warlord XXXVWell-behaved women Seldom make history - Laurel Thatcher UlrichMy lady, Thank You. With out you, the other 'crats', the marshalls, mistresses and ALL the others who "Work" at events, they just wouldn't happen. Most of those who have worked events know this and realize that their efforts Are appreciated, even if that appreciation doesn't get vocalized. So to ALL those who have Ever worked at an event of any size, Thank You.

Lady Gabriele

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind.To trust anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will.To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."   Bernard Edmonds