[Elfsea] Calendar

Dragonetti dragonetti at generich.com
Mon Jun 9 00:00:11 PDT 2008

We haven't seen a baronial college in a very long time and I do have fond
memories of some from our past. I like the idea of an A&S/War college in the
spring, perhaps the third weekend in February or at least before Gulf War to
provide timely authorizations as Lord Rikr points out.

Weather wise, I think Defender's current calendar spot is probably a good
one. With 3 Kings one week away, and travel costs what they are, some will
choose one or the other. That is unfortunate. We will be challenged to
create even more excitement for our event; not a bad thing. And as Mistress
Stella points out, the 'feel' of Defender tourney and the 3 Kings melee
events are quite different and their close proximity might not be as
detrimental as we might imagine. The culture camps that so many regard
highly, were winding down around the time I started playing. In '98, I
believe there were two left. I'm told they required as much as 10 months
advance planning to pull off well, so perhaps for 2009. We could sure use
the help of some of our veterans to improve our chances of success and
perhaps bring us closer in the process.

Another consideration is where we choose our champions. Our titled Artisan
and titled Bard as well as our 'King of Fools' have lately been selected at
Springfaire. King of Fool's once had it's own, off calendar event where we
could choose it's succession. Baronial college's several years ago hosted
titled Artisan and Bardic competitions. An indoor venue for classes at a
baronial college works well for many types of A&S competitions. However, I
think many folks enjoy Bardic in the evening, and so I can easily see our
titled Bardic moved to Friday or Saturday evening at Defender in the fall.

Considering recent talk of giving folks reasons to stay late and knowing
that some folks dislike having to choose one activity over another when
competitions overlap, I propose that we work towards a schedule with that in
mind. Not necessarily to discourage day-tripping, but don't cater to them
per se. Perhaps a haffla, quest or torchlight tourney on Friday night, to
kick things off. Titled Archery and Rapier during the day on Saturday, with
some fun heavy scenario in the down time, a feast, tavern or culture
camp-hosted-meals in the evening, with a late night titled Bardic
competition. Then Sunday morning find our Chivalric Defender. Or do
something akin to the Complete Anachronist Competition to choose *the*
Elfsea Defender, the one most proficient in all the competitions.

I'm not married to any of these suggestions, just trying to spur discussion.

The Bloody Baron
Armand

  _____