[Elfsea] Baronial College vs. King's College

Liz Wilson ewilson618 at tx.rr.com
Tue Jun 10 17:42:34 PDT 2008

As a newcomer, I have a question.  Isn't a Baronial College similar
to King's College?  Even though King's College changes location
each year, if they are similar it would seem to make more sense to
hold a Baronial College in another month, say February, rather than
in the spring so that it is not too close to King's College.
The only issue with that, however, is that
it would then be fairly close to 12th Night, but I guess that depends on
whether you are talking about having it it early February or late
February.  February does seem to be a good time to have an indoor
non-camping event.

Since Steppes Warlord is in the spring (late spring), it seems to
me to make sense to continue to have Elfsea Defender in the fall
(September or October) rather than moving it to the spring.  This gives
those of us who don't attend the farther away events something to
look forward to in each season.  However, I don't have a strong
preference about this; we have not been around long enough.

Would it be possible to still have something like
Springfaire in some years as an informal "local" event rather than as
one of the primary events? Or could the Barony consider
alternating and having Springfaire one year (in the spring of course)
and a Baronial College (spring or February) in the other year,
so that there are not too many events to plan and put on?
I don't know if alternating is possible or not but it does give more
diversity of events without making the calendar too full.

I would love to see more
commentary on these issues from those of you who
HAVE been around (what future events to have and when).
This would be much more constructive than rehashing
past wrongs, slights, etc.  It is very easy to say hurtful
things in email that can't be taken back later. It is
much harder to put aside past grievances and move
forward, but I hope that those of you who have had
conflicts in the past will try to do that and instead
give  your opinions on the  future calendar
and the scheduling of events.

I do find the comments about spreading events out
over the weekend very constructive.  I do like having
Bardic in the evening, or if the competition needs to
be during the day, perhaps an informal Bardic circle
could be held in the evening.  A drum circle with
dancing that was organized and on the schedule
would also be nice.  I am assuming that parties
must be held informally because alcohol is often
served, and so parties cannot therefore be on the official
schedule.  Assuming that's true, having someone
come around to invite people to parties they may
not know about is always a good idea.

Having something Friday night would be great!
With people coming in and setting up at all
hours, those who are already set up might
as well do something fun, because
sleeping is probably not going to happen.

Christianna Fergusson