[Elfsea] EVENTS - WHAT DO YOU LIKE

Dáire and Druinne -- the Hays Family daire.druinne at gmail.com
Tue May 20 08:30:41 PDT 2008

Greetings from Druinne.  I am answering for myself only, as Dáire and I have
had some different experiences eventing.

Also, my opinions are much colored by the fact that I event on a regular
basis.  Dáire and I, together or alone, have hit as many as 6 events in one
month between us.  We know that that is not the norm.  But, after writing my
answers and reading some of the others, I can see that my approach to
eventing is very different due to the number of events that I (we) make.

The number of events that I (we) make also colors my assessment of what
makes an event fun for me and what makes me drag my family out of bed at
OMG:thirty on Saturday morning to drive for four or five hours or to let
myself be dragged out of bed by the husband to drive him to a tournament for
five hours while he sleeps.  (He usually drives home.)

A fun event for me is one where I get to see my friends, watch some
fighting, maybe even armor up myself, learn something new, eat some good
food (local folks usually bring out the serious munchies or know the really
good cheap places to eat, or I get creative with some chick peas and pita),
do some work, and not have a flat tire. If someone I know gets a cool award,
then that makes it even better.  Court is cool, I don't care what anybody
says.  I like the social aspects of a good feast also.  I don't always eat
the food there and many times, I have off boarded due to either allergies in
the family or I just didn't like the menu. Given a choice between out to
dinner with friends and home in my own bed on Sunday morning, I will take a
restaurant and shower and bed at home most times.

I must also say that eventing on a regular basis with CHILDREN has also
colored what I find fun at an event.  We started playing when Cailyn was 3
weeks old and back then we camped more than not.  Parties are generally for
one, not both of us, unless we have a camp sitter for the group.  My son
stopped eventing as football and high school took over and now, he is in
college with a weekend job.

It is important to remember that we have a diverse group of people in the
SCA with many needs and who find fun at events in differing ways.

1. How far are you willing to travel to daytrip? (hours, mileage)
 Generally about 6 hours one way is my limit.  I have done this a few times
alone, with the help of caffiene but often with someone else who helps keep
me awake.  Mileage - whatever it takes to get to Stargate or Northkeep from
here.

>  2. What is the deciding factor as to whether you camp or stay at a hotel?

I only camp when I HAVE to.  I camp at Gulf War because it is one of the few
times that camping is less expensive than a hotel and I don't like the
walking from parking bit.  I camp at Elfsea events.  Other than that, it is
rare and there is a specific reason - such as helping out a dear friend with
something or the annual trek to Autumn Melees, though we have friends who
day trip that event on a regular basis.

The root cause of this attitude is the fact that Dáire and I event on a
regular basis, regular meaning three to four weekends a month, most months,
barring any major issues at home - illness, kids' stuff, etc.  Hauling out
that stuff one weekend after another gets old quick.  Plus, the cost is alot
less to day trip.

>  3. Do you find it more expensive to camp or stay in a hotel?

Camping is always more expensive.  Gas for big van to drag stuff out, plus
food that always seems to cost more than what we have at home, etc.
Daytripping is like going to fighter practice.  You just take the bare
minimum of what you need.  I have done it with a small ice chest, protein
bars, a case of water and the dollar menu at McDonalds.  I have even
daytripped and not even taken a chair to sit in at a tournament.  I realized
that I was not sitting in the one I had taken for the previous few weeks, so
I just left it at home.

 4. If you got a break on the site fee, would you be more willing to show up
> early and stay late for set up and tear down?

Even if they let me in free, I couldn't do this.  I work from home on
Fridays, but I am online until at least 4, when the kid gets home from
school.  By the time she gets bathed, and in the car, we are not out of
there until 6 ealiest.  So, if the event is four hours away (which seems to
be the average), we are not there until 10pm.  See above about why I day
trip.  And on Sunday, I need to get out of there asap and get home.  I have
stuff to do at home.

>  5. If you day trip, what time do you generally arrive at the event and
> what time do you leave?

Generally arrive around 8-9, depends on how far event is and what is going
on that day and what I am doing and who is with me.  Tournies - 8ish for
armor inspection.  Indoor events - depends on class schedule or meeting
schedule.  Leave - depends on what is going on Sunday.  If we need to be
home for something special, we will leave before court if needed.  I usually
stay for court.  I have left as late as 10pm for a six hour drive home, with
a person along. Some events we will stay for parties, but mostly I pick and
choose about staying late.

 6. What kinds of things would make you more likely to stay later, lets say
> Saturday of the event? (bardic, parties, special nighttime fighting)

Depends on what is going on Sunday and how many events I have made that
month.  If I am 10 events straight, no amount of party will keep me there.
I have done what I came to do during the day, most likely.  Some events do
have a special draw - there are "always" good parties at them.

 7. Do you have the ability to have one or two people carpool with you to an
> event? (space in vehicle, for them and their stuff)

When I go alone, I usually convince someone to ride with me, just to keep me
awake.  If we all go, no room.  We have stuff - armor, etc.

 8. What kinds of things do you like in a site? Please rank the following (1
> thru 8 with 1 being most important)

None of these will influence whether I go to an event or not, because most
of the time, I day trip.  If anything, easy access to hotels might make a
difference, but not much.

 _____   Flush toilets