[Elfsea] EVENTS - WHAT DO YOU LIKE

eleanor cleavely whiteoakbard at gmail.com
Tue May 20 16:20:14 PDT 2008

1. How far are you willing to travel to daytrip? (hours, mileage) I do, and
have daytripped up to 6 hours (one way).  Usually around 4 hours is normal.

2. What is the deciding factor as to whether you camp or stay at a hotel?
event, activities, money, friends camping and depending on how often that
month we are traveling.  During the months we go to 3 -4 events, we daytrip
most of them.

3. Do you find it more expensive to camp or stay in a hotel? Depends

4. If you got a break on the site fee, would you be more willing to show up
early and stay late for set up and tear down?  We already do, no discount
needed, we help wherever we can.  This also depends on my children's
schedules.

5. If you day trip, what time do you generally arrive at the event and what
time do you leave? Between 8-9 am (in time for armor inspection or archery
inspection), leaving depends on the kid's schedules for school, usually
after court (or when packing up is done)  if there are special events,
parties or friends staying, we will stay later.
6. What kinds of things would make you more likely to stay later, lets say
Saturday of the event? (bardic, parties, special nighttime fighting)see
above, also... torchlight tournies, vigils, friend's parties we will stay
for, also depending on my kids and the amount we have traveled that month.

7. Do you have the ability to have one or two people carpool with you to an
event? (space in vehicle, for them and their stuff) Usually we do carpool
with our friends, whenever possible.

8. What kinds of things do you like in a site? Please rank the following (1
thru 8 with 1 being most important)
__3___   Flush toilets __4___   Showers __2__   Easy access to water __5___
  Easy access to electricity __7___   Indoor (A/C or heated) hall of some
kind __8___   Formal parking (Blacktop/cement) __6___   Close distance to
hotels/food __1___   Shade trees
These answers are based on us traveling an average of 2-4 times per month,
depending on the time of year, tournament schedules, and sports schedules
for our high schooler.

Elspeth and family

Hi all!

Here's my two marks' worth!

1. How far are you willing to travel to daytrip? (hours, mileage)

Usually about two hours/120 miles.

2. What is the deciding factor as to whether you camp or stay at a hotel?

Well, usually money was the deciding factor. Now, I'd have to say the
weather. While I love camping, I dislike doing it when it's hailing, 100+
outside, humid or all three.

3. Do you find it more expensive to camp or stay in a hotel?

A hotel, I would think. With camping, you have site fee (avg: $13 X 2 =
$26), food (avg: $40), drinks (avg: $20 non-alcoholic; $40 with alcohol).
That's an average of $86 - 106 for a weekend compared to an average nightly
hotel rate of $100 ($300 total).

4. If you got a break on the site fee, would you be more willing to show up
early and stay late for set up and tear down?

Like Aeyrn, I don't have much of an opportunity to get to site early on
Friday for set-up and I usually am in a rush to get home on Sunday to do the
grading and lesson planning I should have done over the weekend. So I'd have
to say no, unless it's over the summer in which case Heck Yeah!

5. If you day trip, what time do you generally arrive at the event and what
time do you leave?

Arrive: 7-8am
Depart: Dusk

6. What kinds of things would make you more likely to stay later, lets say
Saturday of the event? (bardic, parties, special nighttime fighting)

Definitely Bardic, seeing as how I'm a bard.

7. Do you have the ability to have one or two people carpool with you to an
event? (space in vehicle, for them and their stuff)

Not really. The Kia can comfortably seat two with stuff. Any more than that
and it's a tight fit. The Dodge truck seats two.

8. What kinds of things do you like in a site? Please rank the following (1
thru 8 with 1 being most important)
___1__   Flush toilets ___2__   Showers __7___   Easy access to water __8___
  Easy access to electricity __3___   Indoor (A/C or heated) hall of some
kind ___6__   Formal parking (Blacktop/cement) ___5__   Close distance to
hotels/food ___4__   Shade trees

While we haven't had the opportunity to make many events due to work and
finances, we're hoping to start coming out more. So, if you can use my
opinion, please feel free.

Have a great day!
Eleanor Cleavely
Bard of Elfsea (woohoo!)
--
"Mine honor is my life; both grow in one;
take honor from me and my life is done."

Ego existo obstinantus - I am resolved

Reluctor ultum , pareo parum - Resist much, obey little