[Elfsea] Highland Games

willowjonbardc at juno.com willowjonbardc at juno.com
Tue May 27 20:35:53 PDT 2008

I know I haven't been active in the Barony for a while. I felt that I was frozen out because I was pushing for more activities and demos. Based on my many years of working with SCA groups I saw the beginnings of a pattern. We have not been recruiting new members and our older members have been moving on to Kingdom level activities. This is a problem through out the whole SCA but it was working toward critical level in Elfsea.

The leadership in Elfsea has been working very very hard for many many years. I believe they have gotten tired. They are very good at what they do and when they jumped in and did everything many of us knew we couldn't do it as well. I believe that this apathy we are feeling comes from the leadership being tired and not being sure that we can handle things without them. It is time for us to take up the slack. We might not meet the standards they set but will can make things happen.

I loved doing the Highland games and I will talk to people until I fall out. I will help with Highland games if we decide to do it.

The people running Elfsea are dynamos they can work all day and all night and enjoy it. Many of us just can't put that much time in but with careful planning we can all put a few hours at an event and it will happen. We might need 10 people to fill an Ameline or a Pyro or a  Caelin's shoes but we can work it out.

As an older member who is retiring I need an active well rounded local group with a vital calendar that allows me to interact and go to activities without driving to far. I want to help with that so it is place when my health take another dive. For me Highland games gives me something I think is fun that isn't a long way away and doesn't cost much.
 willow