[Elfsea] Highland games and Elfsea

Daralynn Brittain elspeth013 at hotmail.com
Wed May 28 17:37:39 PDT 2008

Greetings,

The task before us is to look at our calendar and possibly adjust them to have our events set to attract more people.

In rebuttal to the below message,

The events in Elfsea are as follows:

Springtime (around March) is Springfaire
April is Guardian of the Tor in Dragonsfire Tor
September is Elfsea Defender
December is Dragonsfire Tor Yule Revel
January is our newest Regional event - 12th Night
Not to mention the other Central Regional events, such as:

Glaslyn Defender of the Flame in April
Emerald Keep in March
Loch Ruadh in August
Three Kings in October

Most of these are within a 2 to 2.5 hour drive.

This places many events scattered through the year.  This achieves your request for an event every 3 months or so.

We have fighter practice every Sunday, and Wednesday evenings.  These are open to everyone in the Barony.  If you are not a fighter, bring something to work on, or just come out and meet with friends.

There is a perception that the quality of our events has declined.  I do not agree.  I have traveled to many events in the past six weeks including events out of Kingdom, and I think that our events are managed well and compare favorably with other events in a similar nature.  We are on par with other events as far as attendance.
As far as dead time:

I have been hardpressed to find the "dead time" you mention.  There are a few events, such as the Guardian of the Tor in 2007 that I autocratted, that I allowed an hour or two to change, shower and prepare for the potluck or feast and court.   I, for one, find this nice.  I do not like to attend court sweaty and dirty, it is uncomfortable.  Please specify what you consider "dead time".

Sometimes we have had to schedule the tournaments close to, or at the same time.  This is simply because there is not enough hours in the day to schedule them back to back.

We could debate these issues ad nauseum, however the matter at hand is simply the adjusting, or not, of our calendar.  If we simply put forth ideas regarding the possible change in dates and/or events, we can brainstorm the other issues once these are solved.

I believe that moving Defender to a spring event would be more successful.  Either to the second weekend in May or even looking at February, before Gulf Wars.  Baronial College, should we decide to have one, can then rotate as necessary in the Calendar.

In Service,

Lady Elspeth de Stervlen

Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 11:27:36 -0700From: lord_stargate at yahoo.comTo: elfsea at lists.ansteorra.org; lord_Stargate at yahoo.comSubject: [Elfsea] Highland games and Elfsea
Greeting all

Since everyone is putting in their two cents I think I should too.

I think cutting down the number of events would cause more damage to Elfsea then good.  Yes we have on work on quality but that still can be done with the two events that Elfsea has and kingdom event will not help this problem . The barony needs the events to keep newcomers: moots, fighter practices and guild meetings will not keep the attention of newcomer forever.  They need to see fighting in tourneys, hear bardic done person and  witness the arts in display about every two to three months in their local group to reinforce their attention and that what events do but the active need to be at different times at the event.

That is were the quality of our event have decline, we have been place all the actives in event at the same time and then we have dead time for the rest of the event.  The dead time is what is hurting the events plus that we force fighters, bards, artist and newcomers to choice only one thing to do for the event and force them to miss the rest. In the dead time between the end of the actives and court is boring and if if the person has reason to to stay they leave and tell the people of their area that the event was no fun.

If we are having trouble organzing people then we need to start organzing sooner then later. The e-mail about Highland games should have appear three mouths about along with calls to members of the group that work on it last year.  So people do not look at the list and perfer to be ask in person before they will help.  The list is to imperson too use to recruit help for a event or a demo.  Elfsea needs to work on this and get in touch with its people more personally

This is the view of a lone squire, I have been in the SCA for a long time and seen some of the great events of Elfsea and have been watching the problems grow but it can work on but slowly at first.  I will be will to help with taking a office but I have no clue to how to put in a bid.

Lord Jonathan Bernard