[Elfsea] Bear pit vs. melee vs. regular tourney

Jasper captain_jasperc at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 7 16:08:13 PDT 2009

I would have to agree with Lady Eleanor,
   I love the Pas style tournament...not done nearly enough and it is very period. Always looked forward to Adlersrue Pas de Arms to choose their champions when I lived out West.
   Not to fond of Bear pits as most of the good fighitng takes place early, with only the most stamina hardy fighters still showing there best later in the list. Lochlan is right about the best fighters dominating this type of list but a variation to make fighters use different weapons styles could add to the flavor. A long time ago when regions still had Warlords we use to choose the Warlord in the West by having a Triad tourney. One Team captain and two other fighters. Each team fought best two out of three bouts against  another team in a standard tourney format and the wounds of the fighters were retained to the next round. Very exciting, very good fighting and very good tests of leadership. Another great tourney that is rarely seen is one done at the barrier. Done using counted blows or with rarely used weapon forms such as single handed axe, mace or dagger is also very fun.

Jasper C.