[Elfsea] Elfsea Defender Dinner by the Lyst Field

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Tue Mar 31 14:08:21 PDT 2009

The difference between an ice chest and a keep warm chest is the ice chest generally does not have insulation in the top as cold air is heavier than warm air and the cold stays in the insulated area. Put a blanket or other insulation on the top of an ice chest, however, and it works as a keep warm chest also.

Note this is not always a good thing. You want to keep food outside the range of 41 degrees F and 140 degrees F. If you keep it warm, but not warm enough, you greatly increase the rate of bacteria growth. It is easier to keep food cold without changing the quality of the food than it is to keep it warm. It tends to continue cooking when you make it warm enough.

In service,
Caelin on Andrede
Modernly a ServeSafe (restaurant sanitation and policies) instructor among other things