GE - Re: Canton Pavilions (longish)

StephenMacthomas at aol.com StephenMacthomas at aol.com
Fri Feb 25 13:27:49 PST 2000

In a message dated 2/25/2000 2:57:06 PM Central Standard Time,
Scott.Mills at compaq.com writes:

>  When people say  "several popups" what exactly are we talking about?
>  Toaster Pastries keep springing into my mind.

The popups are several small, hexagonal, blue and white nylon canopies,
walled only along the length of each support pole.  They are somewhat sturdy
and make great kites in strong gusts.  (Ask any of us that chased them down a
year ago at Queen's Champion.)

>  Also, would someone please describe the "canton pavilion".  Is it a period
>  pavillion or at least period looking?  Canvas or Vinyl?    What colors?
>  Wooden or metal poles?  Free standing or roped and staked?

To the best of my recollection, the canton pavilion is a natural canvas,
unadorned, with wooden support poles that are roped and staked.  Baron
Talmon, Baroness Adelicia and Lady Seren would be far better equipped to
answer the fine details regarding our pavilion, as Their Excellencies
currently have it in their care and Lady Seren has diligently assisted them
in maintaining it.

>  Lets get pictures of all of these things and I'll put the pictures
somewhere
>  on the web where we can see them when needed in a semi-online fashion.

I'm not certain we necessarily need the pics online.  However, if we could
establish a historian's page, with photos of these items as they appeared at
past events, I think that would be splendid.

>  Otherwise does Laird Sean  (or someone else) have a fairly complete list of
>  Canton Equipment and inventory?

The chatelaine's office is responsible for maintaining the inventory of the
canton's posessions, and for delegating storage and maintenance tasks.  This
office is open right now, and ultimately the seneschal's office oversees it.
I am still organizing the files I've received from HL Annes and will be on
the lookout for that inventory.

>  Perhaps it is time to pull all of the equipment together one Saturday and
do
>  and inspection, inventory, clean and repair of it all.  This may be needed
>  since it seems that a number of the current principal players aren't
exactly
>  sure what we have, and especially since our annual event is ONLY 98 DAYS
>  AWAY.  I will once again volunteer our place in Pinehurst for a
>  Saturday/Sunday inspect/inventory/clean/repair session.

I'll keep the offer in mind, since I'm certain we'll be doing a tune-up of
our inventory before the event and preferably before things turn hot again.

>  How about we schedule it for Saturday March 11 since that day seems to
still
>  be open on the Kingdom Calendar and it will give is time to get the word
out
>  to the populace although it is the weekend before the next populace
meeting.

That Saturday may not be the best, as many of us - myself included - will be
preparing for Gulf Wars that weekend.  I think April might be a good month,
although that's also the month of Crown Tournament and the Assembly of the
Contrades.  We'll take a look at it at the business meeting Monday night and
try to decide on a date.

>  Is there an associated wants/needs list that has been developed as a result
>  of previous event post-mortem meetings?

The last two event/feast stewards were HL Annes/Lord Stephen (1999) and Lady
Caitlin/HL Ihon (1998).  I'll talk with them and see what notes they might
have, although my experience has been that we're pretty up-to-date on our
wish list.

In service to Gate's Edge and her populace,
Lord Stephen