GE - Rootbeer questions

Ciaran O'Niell p.toland at computer.org
Sun Jan 23 13:38:47 PST 2000

    Gwyn> Ciaran,
    Gwyn> I was wondering if you could give the list a shopping list for
    Gwyn> the rootbeer.  I as well as several other ladies were wondering
    Gwyn> what would be need for this endeavor.  Thank you and see you at
    Gwyn> the guild meeting.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.  I have been a bit busy
lately.  Anywho, to make 1 gallon of a basic rootbeer you will need the
following ingredients:

1/4 oz dried sassafras root bark
3 to 4 quarts water
2 cups sugar
1/8 tablespoon ale (or bread) yeast (also 1/4 cup lukewarm water)

As far as supplies you will need a large pot, a gallon glass jug with lid,
eleven 12oz bottles, caps and a bottle capper.  Caoilin and I will have a
capper, pot, jug and probably enough lids; so the only thing that you
really must have is the bottles.  The bottles should be thick-walled
unthreaded glass bottles.  You can probably get some from DeFalco's.  I use
Woodchuck cider bottles since I tend to drink a lot of Woodchuck cider.

If you can't find sassafras root or are concerned about its carcinogenic
properties then you can use rootbeer extract instead.  Again, DeFalco's
has extract if you want/need it.

Remember that if anyone has an idea for something they want to brew, they
are more than welcome to try it out at the guild meeting.  Just because we
have something we want to try out doesn't mean that we are going to prevent
others from doing what they want.

Ciaran
--
"An appointment is an engagement to see someone, while a morningstar
is a large lump of metal used for viciously crushing skulls. It is