GE - Any Truth to the Rumor?

StephenMacthomas at aol.com StephenMacthomas at aol.com
Sun Mar 19 20:18:44 PST 2000

Greetings to the list:

As of our last planning meeting, the TRF liasions were unaware of any such
development regarding the sale of the TRF site for any purpose to any entity.
 Although there was no mention of any rumors, the absence of discussion seems
to be a clear go-ahead for this year's TRF season, business as usual.

One of the stages is being torn down to make way for a newer, Greek classical
design.  From the impressions I got of the model displayed at last year's
TRF, it will be a two-story design and will be a radical departure from the
stages we are accustomed to.  (And it's purty, too.)

Rumors regarding the TRF site that I've heard include the housing
development, the sale of the site to Disney, and the sale of an adjacent site
to Disney for their use as a corporate retreat for their executives.

Disney has never in its history purchased an existing attraction of any kind
to develop further.  All of Disney's amusement parks are meticulously
designed from the ground up - in the case of Disney World, they literally
built the ground: some thousands and thousands of landfill were needed to be
able to support the park in the swampy ground outside Orlando.  Most of
Disney's entertainment focus is hinged on the phenomenal success of the
Florida site, and as new attractions and parks open on the campus there, the
pull of the existing sites creates almost free advertising for the newer
ones.  I doubt that Disney has anything to gain financially by diverting from
this success formula, especially by moving to a site in rural southeast Texas.

Please note that the opinions expressed in this posting are my own and do not
reflect the opinions of any group of which I am a part, including the TRF
liasion team and the SCA.  All facts represented in this posting are true to
the best of my recollection and experience.

Steven Hall, who sometimes wanders through the world as Stephen Macthomas