[Gatesedge] Potential name change.

Margarita Alvarez serinlerapp at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 10 10:35:59 PDT 2002

Greetings all!

I hadn't planned on taking my views to the list, but since so many others
have, I figured, Why not?

I have been a loyal and supportive memnber of this canton for many years,
and I cherish the experiences and memories it has allowed me.
I am very proud of our history, and am grateful that we continue to have a
Historian and long time members to help us preserve it.
However, I feel we have come a long way in recent years, and have worked
hard to develop a reputation for ourselves as a hardworking, productive, and
unique group.

I fully understand that we should not look at our progression to Shire as
getting/breaking away from Stargate, heck, that's precisely the wrong
reasoning, and is why I felt we were not ready to go to Shire status a year
ago when this type of dissention was discussed.

BUT... I do strongly feel that now is the opportune time to begin anew, make
new history and traditions. I also feel that not wanting to learn a new
name, or not wanting to go through the trouble of changing our newsletter
name as minor concerns when we are faced with an opportunity to call
ourselves by a name that truly embodies who/what we are TODAY. Yes, I have a
couple of ideas, but I'm sure there are others too, who would love to be
identified with a group name that really hits the nail on the head when it
comes to it's populace, and not just a name that linked us with a Barony
that we were a part of and are on the outskirts of.
I love Stargate as well, and will always feel a sense of loyalty there,and
will stand and serve with them as brethren in this Kingdom should, but I'd
like to see our growth and progress fully represented with a good solid and
inspired name if/when we achieve Shire status.

I know this is probably difficult for those who have been around for all or
the majority of the Canton's history, I myself am kind of a halfling (4-6
years in GE), in that I've been around to work with, play with, and get to
know most of our original members, but I also find myself surrounded by
very, very active hardworking folks who have only played for 1 to 3 years
and who sometimes feel like they have missed out sometimes because they were
not part of the "ancient history and traditions" of the Canton of Gate's
Edge. Without many of these newer folks, I really don't think we'd be where
we are today.

I guess I would just like to see us get a fresh start with our new status,
and be able to preserve our history, but also move on with new traditions.

Thanks for your time.
Serin