[Gatesedge] Proposed change to Kingdom law

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Tue Aug 19 11:51:10 PDT 2003

"Young, Carolyn" <Carolyn.Young at goodmanmfg.com> said:

> How will this proposed change affect our budget plans?  Inquiring
minds and
> all that.

Not a "proposed" change.  It is a change and will be published in
an upcoming Black Star and will go into effect in 2004.  TRM rode
with me to Pennsic and back and we discussed it on the trip.

As a canton or Shire we will be permitted one event on the Kingdom
Calendar.  Currently we have two events on the 2004 Calender and we
will be expected to give up one of those.  We also already have a
spring event on the 2005 calendar.

If we can only have 1 event per year it will need to be an  outdoor
and camping event if we want to continue to have activities like
archery, equestrian, and knire/axe/spear.  Personally now that
official SCA involvement has come to an end I am in favor of
hosting our one event per in the cooler fall season.

FWIW I am also personally in favor of this change and I think fewer
events will help the kingdom to have higher quality and better
attended events and will hopefully encourage people to submit bids
for various kingdom events.

If you run the numbers...

There are 52 weekends a year.

Crown, Coronation, Red Tape, and Queens each happen twice a year
generally without conflict.  That leaves 44 open weekends a year
for events.

Generally branches do not host events the weekends surrounding Gulf
Wars (the events would have miserable attendance).  That leaves 42
open weekends a year for events.

When you consider that generally Pennsic weekends are also often
avoided (largely because of heat but also because of Pennsic
conflicts) and that Thanksgiving and Christmas weekends are
essentially always avoided as event dates that takes us down to 39
(or perhaps even 38) weekends a year for events.

There are 42 groups listed in the Black Star so that means more
than 1 event per remaining weekend.

There are 13 baronies in kingdom that each get a PED so that takes
us to 55 events in 39 weekends.

There are about 13 other kingdom events needing hosts annually.  So
that takes us up to potentially 68 events in 39 weekends.

Consider that multi-group/regional events do not count as part of a
branches quota and neither do the known world events like known
world heraldic, known world dance, etc. or large events likes TFYC
etc.

Consider also that very large traditional events like Steppes
Warlord and Steppes 12th night generally do NOT have events
conflicting with them.  These events are large and successful at
least partially because they do not have 2 or 3 other events
conflicting with them (and because Memorial day weekend is a great
weekend for a big event).  Other events like Three Kings are also
quickly getting large enough that the force weekends all their own
on the kingdom calendar.

Very quickly event with this new law in effect except for the very
big and protected kingdom events on most weekends you will still
have the choice of more than 1 event to attend.

How many of you remember Bordermarch 15-20 years ago?  They were
great big events with melees all day Satruday, feasting and
partying all night, and more melees on Sunday.  In recent years the
event has been a pale shadow of it's former glory I think at least
partially due to the fact that they typically have 2 events that
weekend conflicting against them.

Now, has to the question of IF it effects our budget plans I think
it certainly should.  I dont know know about this most recently MSF
(can someone please report on that)  but for the previous 3 MSF and
Courd'Amour we were making about $350 profit per event.  With
an 'average' of I think around 150 people in attendance.  We have
certain fixed costs every year such had chroniclers overhead, bank
service charges, etc. and other costs such as maintaining canton
equipment and loaner gear and paying for equestrian insurance for
our equestrian practices, etc all add up to consuming the largest
portion of the profits we would have historically made from a
single event a year.  Any budget policies that plan for any sort of
deficit spending would I think be highly irresponsible.

The last few years we have been very lucky.  e have had some very
nice and unexpected donation come in.  These are not things that we
can or shoould budget for/with but should instead be considered and
windfalls that we may use to repair, replace, and improve where we
can.  We have had two or three (or even 4 events) per year and have
profited from most of those events.  All that will change since we
will only be allowed one event a year and can never count on
actually being awarded any bids for kingdom events.  Our budget
will I think need to be based largely upon projected profit from a
single event a year and I dont think that we can start raising our
site fees and feast fees too much without hurting event attendance.

Regards,

--
HL Eadric Anstapa
Ansteorra