[Gatesedge] Combat Archery

Young, Carolyn Carolyn.Young at goodmanmfg.com
Thu Aug 21 09:52:11 PDT 2003

I don't know how many of you are on the Ansteorran list so I thought I'd
pass this little piece from Countess Octavia on here.

Cheers,
Caitlin

Combat Archery - On A Lighter Note

Well, its that time of the year again.  The weather is starting to cool down
(maybe) and the roars and grunts of the fighters can be heard echoing
through the woods and fields.  Once again it is archery season.  I have put
together a few tips for those of you hunting these extraordinary creatures
for the first time.

1. Baiting: the use of object/s to encourage your prey to come to you.

	a)	Heavy Fighters: The best bait for these massive animals is
the use of decoys.  They cannot seem to resist the clashing and banging
around of their own kind.  When they see other fighters fighting, they tend
to rush headlong to join them.  If you don't have access to such decoys, try
spreading some bright shiny objects around such as stainless steel gauntlets
or a shiny helm; using long pieces of rattan is also effective.  Heavy
fighters are drawn to such things as these.

	b)	Light fighters: Oh, the rare and elusive light fighter.  We
usually don't hunt these graceful creatures because of their rarity.  They
don't seem drawn to the noise of others fighting so I have not found that to
effectively bait them into range.  One must use other objects to entice
them.  The use of a few yards of expensive trim or lace seems to work.  What
always does the job though, is the sight of very sharp, fancy clothing.
This approach has never failed me yet.

2. Choosing Your Hunting Terrain: have a working knowledge of the terrain
you will be hunting in.

	a)	Open field: The open fields are the most common area to find
both heavy and light game.  This is the area they prefer to engage in their
ritual combat.  Because of the lack of ready cover, an archer must stay
alert and on their toes at all times.  Being spotted by one of these fierce
creatures can be dangerous.

	b)	Bridges: For some unknown reason, Heavy fighters tend to
gather at bridges.  They strive to reach the other side, pushing and
fighting their way through.  Ironically, it doesn't seem to matter which
side they start from, as long as they end up on the opposite bank.  It is
here that we archers revel in the ease of the kill. Often it is too easy to
bag your limit and only the fact that your quiver is empty do you stop.

3. Types Of Archery Equipment: What tips to use, and when.

	a)	There are, of course, a multitude of tips available this
season, the Markland, Thistle and several types of Baldar blunts.  We won't
be discussing the disgusting golf tube thingies.  Remember, Heavy fighters
are encased in an armor-like skin.  The thickness of this pelt varies with
each individual.  I usually start with a fine Markland tip or perhaps a
Balder blunt for average game.  I switch to my Thistle tips at close range,
when I encounter thicker pelted fighters.  Often these massive animals are
unable to feel that they are dying, stuck on the end of a wonderful shot.
It is during these times, one should verbally remind them of this fact.
Often a POLITE verbal reminder will do the job.

	b)	** Special Note For The Lighter Game. Use only the foam
covered Marklands to hunt this prey.  These animals tend to be VERY thin
pelted and are usually easily damaged.

4. Safety Tips: Or when to run like heck.

	a)	A combat archer must ALWAYS be on their toes and aware of
what is going on.  For some reason, most of the massive heavy prey hate
archers on site and will go to extreme measures to kill us.  Upon sighting
archery equipment, Heavy fighters tend to foam and fleck at the mouth, in a
desperate attempt to stop us.  So be aware. One way to avoid such encounters
when being chased by these lumbering mammoths is to run directly into
another group of Heavies.  This tends to confuse the pursuing fighter and
they usually stop to fight with the Heavies you are hiding among.
	b)	 If you are caught out in the open with no means of escape,
fall to the ground or your knees yelling "I YEILD".  This has two effects on
these animals; first, they stop their headlong charge on you, and second,
instead of whomping you, they tend to just tap you.  I don't know if the
yelling or the falling to the ground confuses them.

Well, These are all the tips I have for now.  The season is opening for a
majority of us next weekend at Gothic Wars. Come on out if you can and go
hunting with us.

Countess Octavia

I wrote the above piece about 5 years ago, it seems to be the perfect time
to resurrect it (with a few minor changes), as the melee season is about to
begin.  Ansteorra needs more combat archers, come on out and have a good
time:

Carolyn B. Young
Goodman Mfg.
IT - Branch Support
713/861.2500 ext 425

Goodman Manufacturing Co., L.P. protects against viruses and spam.  Do not
include Goodman Mfg. mail accounts in any spam distribution or your e-mail
domain will be blocked.