[Gatesedge] Releases for the Historian

D. Vandever hlannes at ev1.net
Sun Feb 8 10:06:38 PST 2004

Dear Friends,

I have been doing some research into copywrite and publications and putting
these publications onto a webpage in order to share the history with the
populace. I am working with HL Eadric and Lady Gwen to put together a
"Historian's page" for both the Gates Edge and the Stargate websites. Both
gentles have been very helpful and willing to work with me at any time.
However, this may take more time and footwork than I anticipated.

Basically, it boils down to this. US Copywrite Law states that a copywrite
is in force *thoughout the life of the author/artist and 50 years after
their death*.

Many of you in writing articles and so forth for the chronicler to publish
in the Two Towers or the OTE signed releases but some of those releases were
only good for that one publication. In the earliest years, there may not
have been releases at all...or if the chronicler's files have been lost or
damaged in the past...the releases may have been lost. In order for me to
put them into the historian's page, I will be researching the chronicler's
files of both the Barony and the Shire for your releases. If what you signed
is for that publication only, I will need to have you sign another and
different release which will give me your permission to put it onto the
webpage.  In the case of someone who has passed away like HE Adelicia or Sir
John the Plain of Shern, I will have to secure the family's permission to
use their work.

To complicate the matter even more, I will need a release from the
*chronicler who published the Two Towers, the OTE (or The AntHill
Times....yoohoo! Fedelm!!)* in order to put the entire newletter in total on
the webpage. HL Alexander, kingdom chronicler, informed me that the layout
of the publication belongs to whomever put it together to begin with.
Otherwise, I will only be able to put whatever articles I can get individual
releases for onto the webpage.

None of this is impossible to accomplish. It will just take more time and
work than I first realized. But then what else is new? :-) I will be working
on this little problem for a long time and I wanted to let you know why it
may be a bit before you actually see things onto these pages which someone
other than myself have written.

In the meantime, I would appreciate the following from anyone who might
know.

1. If you know the contact information for the families of people who have
passed away and were part of the Barony or Shire-please pass that
information along to me.

2. If you know the contact information for people who have left the area or
left the Society, please pass that information along to me.

3. If you have personally published articles or artwork in any of the
publications I have mentioned, please be ready to receive my request that
you sign a release.

I can be reached privately at hlannes at ev1.net or dvandever at kleinisd.net

That is all I can think of now. Until then, I remain....

In Service,
Annes
Dear God,  Help me to be the person
my dog thinks I am.  Amen