[Gatesedge] Raven's Fort Event Info

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 30 13:14:26 PDT 2009

Greetings,
The map in the 'Black Star' is in the Kingdom newsletter.  Members of the SCA receive a copy of the Kingdom newsletter titled the 'Black Star', which includes event announcements.  Over the years with the advent of the internet, the websites for events often will host the same announcement and/or more information than the newsletter.

In the March Black Star newsletter, here are the written direction to the ‘Stones of Raven’s Fort’:
- take I-45 to Huntsville, tx.
- Go east on US 190 through town
- Turn right on FM2929 south
- After crossing FM2296, go past the railroad tracks and around a long  curve (map calls FM2929 road: ‘Four Notch Rd.’ after RR tracks)
 (my note: there is a side street after RR tracks turning to left, map labels as ‘Dorrell Rd’, don’t take that).
- immediately after crossing the low concrete bridge, turn left into the gate of the V-Bar Ranch (my note: you will find the ‘Stones of Raven’s Fort’ site after driving the short curved farm road through trees.  You may have to open/close the farm gate on the main road.)

The way I go from Houston:
- take I-45 north to New Waverly,
- exit FM 1375 on the right off the freeway, drive till intersection Hwy 75.
- Turn left onto Hwy 75, drive north-northeast.
- Drive till intersection FM 2296, turn right, heading northeast.
- At intersection FM2929, turn right, heading south-southeast.
- On FM2929 (map calls FM2929 road: ‘Four Notch Rd.’ after RR tracks), go past the railroad tracks and around a long curve
   (my note: there is a side street after RR tracks turning to left, map labels as ‘Dorrell Rd’, don’t take that).
- immediately after crossing the low concrete bridge, turn left into the gate of the V-Bar Ranch (my note: you will find the ‘Stones of Raven’s Fort’ site after driving the short curved farm road through trees.  You may have to open/close the farm gate on the main road.)

You should be able to mapquest New Waverly and follow the farm roads to get an idea on where the site is.

See you there, Cheers, Hillary