[Gatesedge] Upcoming Demo Reminders, Everyone Is Invited To Join Us!

Ciarnat Ciarnat at consolidated.net
Fri Apr 23 13:17:29 PDT 2010

SCA Sisters & Brothers,

     Just another reminder about upcoming demo opportunities:

     You are invited to participate in a demo in conjunction with Houston
Public Library's Children's Book Celebration.
        The author, T.A.Barron (wrote the Lost Years of Merlin series) will
be the featured guest.

       The date is Saturday, May 8, 2010 from 12:30 PM to 3:30 PM.  The
library address is 500 Mc Kinney St. Houston, TX 77002.

       The library contact person, Jane McNair & committee ask the following
from us:  banners to decorate the library, 2 different artisans
demonstrating 1 craft each, (children will NOT be doing the craft with you),
a station manned by SCAers that work on scribal things where the children
could learn & practice writing their names in calligraphy.

        The SCA will NOT be demonstrating any martial arts at this demo.

       The children library patrons participating in this program will be
between the ages of 8 to 12.

       All of the events for the day will take place inside the library

       Check your calendars, wear your finest garb, bring your banners,
dancers bring your music, artisans bring your craft and scribes, bring your
equipment & extra for the children to use.

      I do not yet have anyone that came forward to concretely volunteer to
attend the demo, or to show the children how one does their craft.  Please
check your calendars, we need you, artisans!

      Please e-mail me if you would like to help out as I will need a head
count for the demo.

  There will be an upcoming demo, scheduled for Saturday, May 15, 2010 at
the Edwards Cinema, located at I-10 @ Silber.  The demo is slated for 12 PM
to 4 or 5 PM.  We will be in the theatre lobby.  We invite all SCAers to
join us for all or part of the time period we are scheduled for, drop in and
hang out with your friends, show the public what we do best.  This demo is
in conjunction with the premier of the Robin Hood film, starring Russell
Crowe.

         All SCAers with interests that cover all facets of our favorite
period in history are encouraged to join us at this demo.  Artists bring
your art, craftspersons come show how you do your crafts, dancers come show
some court & country dancing, singers & musicians put forth angelic tones,
Chiv fighters & rapier community members,  we like to hear the crash of wood
on steel, witness the stealth of those who wield the epee, all are needed to
demonstrate martial art skills.  We are asking for a "roped off section" in
which the martial arts can take place.

      Archers, though there is NOT a safe location at the theatre to do any
archery, please bring your bows & arrows to show the public, tell them about
both target & combat archery, wear your finest garb and shine!  Robin Hood
chose your weapons of war as his own.

       I will bring archery equipment, leather items & armor for a static
display, plus SCA literature.  I might bring along a cheap lap top and play
a SCA DVD in a continuous loop.  We will be asking the theatre for some
tables to display items on.  If you have items to display, please bring
them.

        Maybe, if anyone wants to, we can attend a showing of the film after
the demo, always fun to view a period film while wearing garb!

        Please do not hesitate to e-mail me if you have any questions.

                   I am looking forward to seeing all of your smiling faces
at the demos, spread the word among the SCA brethren, come join us!

                                                                   In
Service,

                                                                    Ciarnat

                                                        Hospitaler, Stargate

                                                        ciarnat at consolidated
.net

  All meaningful change begins with the right aspirations--Ken Yamashita