GL - Costuming

Magdalena magdlena at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 28 00:43:51 PST 2001

"M. Peet" wrote:

> Excuse me....but I must interject here.  A bliaut, tunic and cotehardie are
> all in different time frames.  What period time/place is your persona and I
> can help you?

Confusing, aren't we?  ;>  For persona type garb, Capricia does the
kirtle/cotehardie combo.  She does the time spanning thing that most of us do,
and her current debate is whether to use her newest fabric choices to make a
kirtle & cote set or a bliaut set.  She also has a smaller piece of silk that
isn't big enough to do much with, and she is debating whether to do the quilted
vest over the bliaut (out of Norris - yes, it's Victorian, but it looks cool) or
a short tunic.

> And....a cotehardie and bliaut are two totally different styles, not
> interchangeable and is not even close to a Norman style garb.

Yes, and no.  The styles are completely different _from the hips up_.  Skirts
are skirts.  Cover the upper torso of almost any dress from 800 to 1400 with a
Norman style supertunic, and it'll look Norman.  (I can even defend the buttons
on the sleeves of the cote.  ;>)  That's what I meant when I said it would be an
SCA thing.  No, it won't be a properly Norman outfit, but it'll look that way.
It's a theatrical thing.  The Norman style tunic draws the eye away &
establishes "the look."  It's the same principle as building a one layer gown to
resemble multiple layers.

> Ladies, if you have questions, please e-mail me privately.

Umm, Ceinwein, for the record, I know an awful lot about costuming.  While I'm
not a master costumer by any means, it is certainly one of my areas of
expertise.  Capricia knows quite a bit within her chosen areas as well.  Coming
in at the end of a series of conversations, we probably sound scatterbrained,
but we aren't.  I promise.  ;>  Since you've volunteered though, we will
certainly draft you in the quest to create more garb in the canton.  ;>

YIS,
-Magdalena