[Glaslyn] Gulf War Gifts- topic for business meeting

Julie Cunningham cunningham.julie at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 09:29:30 PST 2007

Greetings all

Quite a few of you all mentioned a quilt of some sort for the Gulf War
gift.  Have any of you all seen pictures of the Tristan quilt?  Here is some
info about it. http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites/1265_frost/?m=200702

It says " The Tristan quilt (bed cover) was made around 1400. Linen fabric
has been quilted and padded with cotton wadding with outlines in brown and
white linen thread. It was made in Sicily, Italy and is 122 inches in length
with a width of 106 inches."  This quilt is at the V&A museum in London.
One of the members of the yahoo group "medievalquilting" asked the V&A
recently to provide answers to some of her Tristan quilt questions.  They
answered back quickly, explaining in detail how the quilt was constructed.
If you wish to know more, email me and I will forward the info to you.

I propose we create a quilt like this one. It can either be a story book
quilt, designed in lets say 20 - 25 blocks each 12" by 12".  We could choose
the story and each block will show the story progression.  Or, we could come
up with one large design, splitting the design into 20-25 blocks. We could
use linen/and or muslin with cotton batting.  Each person would be
responsible for quilting their block by a specific date.  Then we would
gather together on a Saturday in February and put the quilt together.

What do you think?  It will be one of the topics at business meeting
tomorrow.

HE Katheryn