[Glaslyn] Steppes Warlord 35 Awards and Word fame

Julie Cunningham juliecunningham65 at yahoo.com
Wed May 28 14:22:41 PDT 2008

Unto the Populace of Ansteorra do I, Katheryn Cunningghame, Baroness of the Steppes, send you greetings.

After such a long hot day of incredible fighting this past Saturday, I am pleased to announce that Lord Lochlan Dunn is the new Steppes Warlord. Congratulations to this amazing fighter!  Lochlan's inspiration is our new Queen of Love and Beauty, the lovely Lady Gwen verch Cynwrig de Ynys Mon.  A special thank you to our previous Warlord Sior Tomas for an amazing job this past year, and to Honorable Lady Rixende our former Queen of Love and Beauty.

The 35th Warlord tournament was dedicated to Mistress Janet of House Morning Star, our fifth Queen of Love and Beauty.  There was a wonderful memorial to her during the tournament officiated by His Excellency Ihon, Baron of Stargate.  My thanks to you, Good Cousin, for a fine service. To Master Telbyrne Morningstar, our hearts go out to you for your loss.

Later that evening, we held our Steppes Bard Competition.  With 25 contestants, it was the largest bardic circle I believe I have ever seen!  The talent was incredible and it was very difficult to choose a champion. For his wonderful stories, Honorable Lord Tadhg mac Aedain Ui Chonchobhair was declared the victor.  Congratulations!  My thanks to Lord Yagyu for helping judge the competition and for serving as the Steppes Bard this past year.

For his prowess with the rapier, Don Ingve of York was victorious in this year's Steppes Champion competition.  The beauteous Lady Vyolante is our Queen of Grace and Honor.  Thank you to Don Robert for incredible service to this barony as last year’s Steppes Champion, and his lovely Lady Simone for being our previous Queen of Grace and Honor.

Steppes history was made by this year’s Steppes Archer.  HL Ker Megan of Taransay, lovingly known as Pyro, won the novice tourney on Saturday and went on to win Steppes Archer on Sunday! What an exciting tourney and I was glad to see that last amazing shot into the eye slits of the dummy's helm. My thanks to Master Ulf Gunnarsson for his 2 years of service as our Steppes Archer.

Congratulations to the following good gentles for the awards given to them in the various courts.

Sir Morgan Buchanan - Grice of the Steppes -for outstanding service to the local heavy fighting community

Lady Elinor, Lady Regan and Lady Layla - Acorn of the Steppes - for their service to the Steppes

The youth called Dare and Don Duncan Hepburn - Special mention and given a favor by me for their goodness of heart in serving for this event.

Lady Osanna de Burgh and Sir Lasguaard are the newest holders of the Oak of the Steppes - VIVAT to the newest to this Order.

Vyolante de Oporto, Annwn of the Steppes, Arin of Aragon, Yagyu Masamori Nobuwagga, Dunchad Mor and Diederic Andrieszen all were given an Award of Arms.

Lord Alain de la Rue, Lady Layla bint Ysuf and Lord Rurik the Red - Queen's Rapier

Asoph Hearts - Queen's Glove

Lady Maili Donnel MacGregor - Sable Thistle - Embroidery

Lord Uilliacc Macuilliecc - Sable Thistle - Pottery

Elayne O'Ceileachair - Sable Thistle - Cordials

Lady Micola Soranzo (Glaslyn) and Katarzyna Nicholaieva (Emerald Keep) - Sable Comet

Lady Elizabeth Seale, Don Ingve of York and Lady Viviana Rowntree - Sable Crane

Sir Gunthar Jonsson was elevated to the Order of the Laurel in a moving ceremony at court on Saturday morning. There were laughter and tears of joy as several spoke on his behalf. The gift presented by Their Majesties was priceless. Congratulations to you on your accomplishment!

Master Robin was granted the right of augmentation to his arms by Their Majesties. There was a rousing standing ovation that went on for quite a while and echoed the halls.  Congratulations!

For the other tourneys in both heavy and rapier, here are the award receipients:

Chivalric:
Preux of Steppes - Centurian Ulf Arnfinnson
Valiant Warrior of Steppes - Lord Bastian Eisengart
Pata Orior Warrior -   Lord Randal Lee Smith

Rapier:
Provos Lord -  Rizardo d'Artusio
Free Scholar - Julio d' Are

Thank you, Mistress Kalida, for running the embroidery competition again this year.  Winner was Honorable Lady Suzanna the Herbalist, with second place to Lady Cheri the Forgetful.  Baroness’s choice went to Honorable Lady Hanna.

There were many who made this a fantastic event. My thanks to everyone who Lady Lyneya listed in her previous letter, for without them, the event would not be possible.

My thanks to Their Majesties for attending, and special thanks to His Majesty for helping with the tourney.

My thanks especially to Honorable Lady Margarite, Honorable Lady Katya and to Lady Lyneya for doing such a wonderful job on Warlord 35. Ladies, I am proud of you and all of your staff.

My personal thanks to Count Gunthar, Lady Elisabeth Seale, Lady Regan and Katie for keeping me fed, hydrated, out of the sun, and sane. Thank you to Master Robin and Mistress Serena for being there for anything and everything. Thank you Lord Alexander for helping me strike my camp as well as the camps of others. To Lady Viviana, my herald in court and on the field, thank you for a great job.  I also would like to thank Lady Vyolante for coordinating prize baskets, and following for their contributions to the baskets - Constance, Lord Ulliach, Mistress Kalida, Lord Faelan, Lady Micola, Don Alaric, Duchess Willow, Aairn, Giovanni, Christiana, HL Susanna the Herbalist, Lady Elizabeth and Baroness Francesca.

Several people should be acknowledged for their efforts in making our Warlord “loot” all the more special:  Don Alaric for improving our Steppes Warlord ceremonial sword, Honorable Lady Rixende and Lady Maggie MacPherson for the lovely embroidery added to the Queen of Love and Beauty’s cloak, and Don Robert for commissioning a new wooden scabbard made by Sir Godwin of Edington and a new leather baldric retooled by Don Alexander for the Steppes’ Ceremonial Rapier.

Thank you to Duchess Willow and the Miscreant camp for the hospitality for the bardic competition, and for the entertaining flag waving display just after the Warlord tourney.

I am sure that I have forgotten something or someone.  My apologies if I have and please let me know so that I can correct my post.

In service to Their Majesties and my most beloved Barony,
Katheryn Cunningghame
Baroness of the Steppes