[Glaslyn] Ministry of Children Pavillion at Defender of the Flame

Liz Wilson ewilson618 at tx.rr.com
Wed Apr 15 20:23:16 PDT 2009

Just wanted to let all the parents out there know that we are planning to
bring the Steppes MOC Pavillion to Defender of the Flame on Saturday.
We will have playthings for the children to use in the pavillion area and
behind it (games, balls, juggling sticks, etc), and possibly even some kites for flying.
 We are NOT doing a formal sign in/sign out or sponsoring specific MOC classes,
so parents are still responsible for their children at all times at this event.
However, my husband  Duncan de Bard and I will set up our
little pavillion next to the MOC area and "keep and eye' on things, and it is
easy to see the little ones at this event.  Please feel free to have your children
 bring playthings to use during the day at the MOC pavillion as well (but preferably no electronics).
 We are planning to have some specific classes about aspects of the Middle Ages
 (crafts, fighting, heraldry, etc.) at Warlord in late May as well.
 Hope to see your kids there on Saturday at Defender of the Flame!!

Don't forget that if you are a fighter, swordsman or archer, I am looking for
people who practice these disciplines to be interviewed by the children at Steppes Warlord
 (in persona or not at your option)..  Interviews will take 10-20
minutes and we can work around your schedule.  Email me at ewilson618 at tx.rr.com
for more information if you are interested.  The kids will love it and you will get a lot out of it too.
If you doubt that you will have time to do this at Warlord but might be interested in doing
it at Steppes Artisan in August, please let me know as well.

Also at Warlord, I would love it if a a bard could come and entertain the kids for a while/teach
them simple songs or about Bardic competitions in the SCA.  (this was a big
hit at King's College last year!)   Finally, I would also
be interested in having a waterbearer coordinator or chiurgeon teach the kids about
waterbearing at events (why, how to, safety, etc)  and let them cut up some oranges or
pickles or something (this is a big thrill when you are 9).  Again, a 10 minute
presentation  or Q & A with a 10-15 minute activity is generally sufficient.

 So please email me if you are interested in helping to teach the children about any
of these areas (I promise, you can keep it as short as you need to!)   Other
suggestions for classes or future classes for the children are also appreciated.

Christianna Fergusson, Interim Minister of Children, Barony of the Steppes