[Hellsgate] Polling tonight!

Jennifer Hartlove jmhartlove at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 1 10:43:09 PST 2010

Thanks, this was exactly what I needed.

________________________________
From: Ruiz <ruizhorde at yahoo.com>
To: Stronghold of Hellsgate <hellsgate at lists.ansteorra.org>
Sent: Wed, December 1, 2010 11:18:50 AM
Subject: Re: [Hellsgate] Polling tonight!

Jenn,
Here is one candidates response sorry but I have no others in e-mail.

Mel

So, what would we do for Hellsgate?  Popular question- I had the beginning of
this conversation with Hellenne, Timor, and Melissenda the other night and we
had some off-the-cuff ideas on how to deal with it.   The best one we had was
taking the baronial guard up there once in the summer and once in the winter to
"collect taxes and quash the whisperings of rebellion we'd been hearing about".

The whole barony "sails" up for one saturday or sunday, we have a huge potluck
picnic at your park and do mini-melees (chivalric) and ship melees (rapier) for
the afternoon, followed by a court that specifically caters to Hellsgate needs
and fun persona banter between BG and HG.  This is a realistic goal- a lot of
other candidates are making noise about going up once a month and we just don't
see that as sustainable with gas at $3/gallon and the kingdom calendar as
crowded as it is (Pardon me while I scoff at outrageous campaign promises-
*scoff scoff*.  Great sentiment, though.).  We'd rather target fewer but more
focused interactions that get you what you need- rallying points for your group
that naturally bring your population together.  That's a goal that we can
reach.

We also have an idea about getting our guilds and arts communities up there.
You guys have some resources that many guilds down here would LOVE to know about

and have the opportunity to use; the soldier's arts and crafts center on post is

one hell of a carrot to dangle in front of the artists down here to encourage
travel and interaction.  I can see 2-3 BG A&S guild meetings proposed up there
per year.  Maybe only one of them gets a huge turnout... but all three would get

laurels and experts from down here traveling up there where they're more
accessible by some of the local players.  Just like you are asking, "what's in
it for us?" we have to be able to present the benefits of travel to people down
here and that center is a heck of an incentive.  It's been done successfully
before so it's a tested idea- we just need to refine it and repeat.

The most important thing I think we bring to the table as potential B&B is that
we know where you're coming from and we are ready to listen to your ideas about
what you need.  Let's face it, if you haven't been stationed at Ft. Hood it's
very difficult to grasp the lifestyle an SCAer in that area leads.  Transient
population, deployments, influx of a radically differing SCA cultural
background, the intermittent "well, in MY old kingdom we did it THIS way"
issues, the potential for danger and tragedy for the people you play with all
the time, supporting members who are abroad, the frustration of having a good
idea from some other place that nobody will listen to, integration of resident
retirees and active duty folks, defining award standards for people who can only

be at events intermittently... we can deal with these because we understand them

because I lived it.  And it doesn't hurt that I know a lot  of the old timer
population up there, too- if I need to get the scoop on some issue or another I
can make about three calls and have a very clear picture from very different
local perspectives.

What would you like to see for help and assistance from us if we get chosen?

Please, please, please... no matter what your take on who would be the best
choice down here- WRITE A NOTE to the crown with your opinion!  The danger
Hell's Gate faces in getting marginalized in the outcome of this choice is so
high that this might be the only way to offset it.  I have NO IDEA who chose a
polling site in far south Austin but it was a HORRIBLE idea; it should have been

in a place where you guys didn't have to drive so far.  Email your opinion to
Ulsted and Ebergardis at crown at ansteorra.org .  This is such a hot topic that
I'm ccing a few of the folks who have asked the same question with our answer-
please share it with as many people up there as you'd like; we haven't said
anything here we wouldn't say in public.  Make sure Keyna and Adrian get a copy
as I don't know if they'll be able to drive all the way down for the polling.

Yours,

Dieterich and Sabina (who is looking forward to getting to know you, too)

Post Script: It should also be a point of interest that if we are chosen to lead

down here, our favor is not for sale.  It can, however be rented for Schoepf's
bbq pork chops with a side of pickles.  This will be considered the official
dish of Bryn Gwylad for the duration of our tenure and gives the populace of
Hells Gate a certain natural advantage politically speaking (it also means that
we'll be stopping in Belton every time we come back from a northern event...
planning meetings at Schoepfs!!!)