[Hellsgate] Ping: Timur!

SoldierGrrrl soldier.grrrl at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 06:15:03 PDT 2010

Do you think you might be able to help this gentleman out?  He posted
to the BG list.

Thanks!
Helene

Fields Family Farm <fields at texas.net>
reply-to	Barony of Bryn Gwlad <bryn-gwlad at lists.ansteorra.org>
to	Bryn-gwlad at lists.ansteorra.org
date	Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 2:20 AM
subject	[Bryn-gwlad] Footwear

My persona:  My father was a viking. Around the year 960 he raided the
Scottish isles, took a wife from a Scottish clan, and eventually
settled in the Anglo-Saxon part of England.  For me, it is around year
1000, and I've grown up in an Anglo-Saxon community with viking and
Scottish influences.

I'm looking for period footwear.  Something I can wear while fighting,
and to court, both, if possible.  Ideally there'd be something
inexpensive out there already made I could just buy, but if I need to
I can make it myself, or find something commercial to modify.

I don't really like the looks of MedievalMoccasins.com, mainly because
she uses the wrong kind of leather, and cuts them too neatly - they
look like modern copies.  Though, if that's period for my persona, I
could make a shoe like that myself, with a more period leather.

I've seen this site http://www.vicus.org.uk/documents/ironageshoes.htm
and could make those myself (they're the equivalent of the
MedievalMoccasins), but I'm not sure if any of the above cultures wore
them, or if they're my best option.

I've also been to this site
http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/shoe/SHOEHOME.HTM , and
while they have different designs, most of them seem very basic.  Is
that accurate?

I've been through Stefan's Florilegium.  The newcomers section
recommends wearing modern shoes and covering them up, or wearing
leather sandals, with socks.  Would something like this work?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Earth-Spirit-Men-s-Leather-Fisherman-Sandals/13064323
 Especially after I'd worn down the sole a bit?  I'd make some kind of
cloth-wrapping/sock out of period cloth to wear inside them.

In the clothing part of the Florilegium, there are 3 or 4 files with
discussions of shoes, but most of them seem to point to books out of
print, or web-links 15 years old that go nowhere now.

Anyway, most of the above is to show you that I've done at least a
basic research into this.  And now, I'm asking for suggestions.  Is
there any easy way to gain somewhat period footwear, or do I need to
delve into turnsoled shoemaking and make my own?

Hrethric/Rick

--
I've asked forgiveness from the Lord, now take my soul, and bring my sword.