[Hellsgate] Hellsgate Yule Revel

Ruiz ruizhorde at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 18 08:16:39 PDT 2010

As December gets closer I find myself getting excited about our Yule. I have
never attended a masquerade ball so I am looking forward to coming up with a
costume.  I pasted a little blurb about masquerade balls below.

My excitment doesn't stop with costuming but with the idea of spending some time
with friends.

Ok really it is all about the food! You all know how I love to cook and eat and
to see the food that people have already signed up for makes my mouth water.

My hope is that everyone gets into the spirit of this Yule and we see neat
costumes and great food.

When you see Kat, Jenn or Liam say a quick thanks for what they are doing for
us.
 So with that being said what should
my costume be? I have heard angel, then fallen angel and now the devil in
disguise. Really!!!

If you have an idea yell it out. I want to hear your ideas.

Mel

A masquerade ball (or bal masqué) is an event which the participants attend in
costume wearing a mask. Such gatherings, festivities of Carnival, were
paralleled from the 15th century by increasingly elaborate allegorical Entries,
pageants and triumphal processions celebrating marriages and other dynastic
events of late medieval court life. The "Bal des Ardents" ("Burning Men's Ball")
was intended as a Bal des sauvages ("Wild Men's Ball") a costumed ball
(morisco). It was in celebration of the marriage of a lady-in-waiting of Charles
VI of France's queen in Paris on January 28, 1393. The King and five courtiers
dressed as wildmen of the woods (woodwoses), with costumes of flax and pitch.
When they came too close to a torch, the dancers caught fire. (This episode may
have influenced Edgar Allan Poe's short story "Hop-Frog".) Such costumed dances
were a special luxury of the ducal court of Burgundy.
Masquerade balls were extended into costumed public festivities in Italy during
the 16th century Renaissance (Italian, maschera). They were generally elaborate
dances held for members of the upper classes, and were particularly popular in
Venice. They have been associated with the tradition of the Venetian Carnival.
With the fall of the Venetian Republic at the end of the 18th century, the use
and tradition of masks gradually began to decline, until they disappeared
altogether.