[Hellsgate] fighter practice

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 17:36:06 PST 2011

At 02:04 PM 3/4/2011, you wrote:

>I was coming regular  to fighter practice but I have 2 problems--1. I am
>new to the group and new to  this type of fencing and with no intruction it's
>like giving a person a badge  and gun and saying "go be a cop now".   The
>other problem is gear--as  I've discussed before.
>   It seems that the emphasis is on heavy fighting.  I am no 6ft  tall
>amazon woman and I have no wish to get pummeled to death in this style of
>fighting--besides we are back to gear again.
>
>   I'm not driving to Austin  any more as the same problem occured--no
>fencing jacket and hood so I would end  up driving from Harker
>Heights to stand
>and watch.  And if you are not  "part of the group" and New to SCA it is very
>difficult to "break in" as  everyone looks at you like an idiot when you
>have no clue what they are talking  about.

Hmm... you must have caught us on a bad night. Bryn Gwlad owns--and
the marshal usually brings out--several sets of loaner gear, in
various sizes. And generally the rapier fighters are willing to help
out, or at least point you to someone who knows the gear and is
willing to help out with fitting, training, etc.

Right now, everything is pretty chaotic with folks getting ready for
Gulf War, but once that's past you might give us another try. Maybe
email the rapier marshal
(http://bryn-gwlad.ansteorra.org/officers.php) a couple of days
before you're coming, to make sure the loaner gear will be there, and
to see if you can set up a bit of training-time.

         -Tivar Moondragon