[Hellsgate] Demos discussion

Scot Eddy mister_eddy2003 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 12 13:52:40 PDT 2012

May I humbly add my voice to the discussion?

I really want to see Hellsgate succeed! I want to support A&S, service and fighting and to help get ya'll plugged into Ansteorra.

Recruiting is great, but make sure you have all your ducks in a row. Here are some questions to think about...

1) Do you have an after plan? In other words, is there a plan in place to support and nurture new members? If not then they'll disappear. Bryn Gwlad has had a new comers guild from time-to-time. There were classes to educate new folks about the SCA.

2) Does everyone know how to "hospital" or greet new people. Everyone is a hospitaller in a way because everyone greets and talks to prospective members. I've watched many an ill-conceived conversation scare away people.

3) Are you growing too fast? On it's face the question seems like an oxymoron, but before you build a house there needs to be a solid foundation. Your foundation needs to be a group of folks where everyone is doing. If  everyone else is new then that presents a big challenge to successfully integrating folks into the group.

Here are some awesome videos (long, but VERY much worth watching) about how to grow your group. Maybe an email list conversation could be done by wathcing a video and discussing it, coming up with ideas then moving on to the next vdeo.

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64UzvDZB9DM&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLBD291263630E4307

Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgkixKEJObI&feature=relmfu

Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyrCQ4ZIlrA&feature=relmfu

Part 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdKcGqyNwXk&feature=relmfu