[Hellsgate] Requests for alternative sites for Fall Baronial

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Apr 11 22:19:48 PDT 2013

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013, Forest E. <forest200302 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I don't know how far people would be interested in traveling, and I
> don't know if the SCA has used it before, but I've been to Old Fort
> Parker. http://www.oldfortparker.org/

It's important to get lots of suggestions, because maybe they work,
maybe they can be made to work, or maybe they spark other ideas.

one within an hour of Austin is Pedernales Falls, and that doesn't
allow overnight equestrian camping.  Soem sites have kitchens and
halls, but they tend to the serving 50-75 range and the facilities may
be a stove and a fridge.

State parks can be found via
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/nearby/all-parks
with links to certain cities.  Regulations are at
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/parkinfo/rules_and_regulations/ :
in particular, equines are allowed only in designated areas.  Each
park can have its own regulations.  The fees below do not include
entrance fees; Bastrop, e.g., charges $2/day for a group.

Fort Parker is about 2 hours from Pflugerville, 1 hour 20 minutes from
Belton.  Steppes often uses Canton, which is about an hour from
downtown Dallas, and Bryn Gwlad had an event in Burnet in the past few
years, as I recall, which is about an hour from downtown Austin.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/fort-parker does not mention
horses, and the equestrian page (q.v.) does not list this park.
It does have one kitchen, in a hall to serve 50.

I clicked on Austin to see the local parks.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/mckinney-falls : "Group
Recreation Hall with Kitchen, People per Site: 75", $225/day;
Amplitheater, seats 50, $25/day, but no horses.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/pedernales-falls : horse trail
and day use, but no overnight equestrian camping and no other
facilities mentioned (excluding the youth-only facilities at McKinney
and here).

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/lockhart : Group Recreation
Hall with Kitchen, People per Site: 75, $200/day, but no horses.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/bastrop : much construction /
reconstruction due to the massive fire.  No horses.
Refectory serves 80, $300.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/buescher : no horses
mentioned, rec hall with kitchen for 100 ... despite the apparent
pattern, a lot of parks do not have kitchen facilities.

Other parks to the west often have no kitchen facilities and none
mention horses.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/guadalupe-river has a horse
trail but no overnight horse camping.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/parks/things-to-do/group-gatherings-in-state-parks
has various links, including "Group Dining & Recreation Halls (that
allow overnight use)".  But this entire page does not mention the rec
halls that I listed above.

I just have to include this:

     Yurts (Shelters with Amenities):

     Yurts were originally used by Mongolian Sheepherders in the desert
     because of ease of setup and transportation.  Each yurt has a
     double/single bunk bed with mattresses, fold out sofa, a
     microwave, and a night stand.  Outside is a picnic table, fire
     ring, and water spigot.

     Abilene SP

... aha!  enough poking around!
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/parks/things-to-do/equestrian
_Parks with Day Use Only Equestrian Facilities_
_Parks with Overnight and Day Use Equestrian Facilities_
_Horse Rentals Available In or Near a Park_
_Required Documentation for Equine Entry into Parks_

For overnight equestrian, the nearest are about 2 hours from Austin:
Hill Country State Natural Area (WNW of San Antonio and Lake
Somerville State Park & Trailway (S of Caldwell).  Some really
spectacular places in the panhandle and West Texas, and even a couple
of places reachable from Houston and more north of Dallas.

Danett de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com