[Hellsgate] Fighter Practice

John Atkinson johnmatkinson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 09:13:36 PDT 2013

A complete set of rapier armor costs less than a quality rapier... I
honestly don't understand the objection.  This is not Dungeons and Dragons
- you have to invest something in the game in order to play.

There are entry barriers to the games we play.  You can't cook if you don't
buy ingredients and cookware.  You can't sew without cloth and needles.
And you can't fight without purchasing fighting kit.

As Helene said, if it is a matter of fabric for the body armor, a group
purchase of a quantity of linen of the appropriate weight might bring the
price down for each purchaser.

Gorgets can be built of leather - and that can also be purchased relatively
cheaply if it is part of a group purchase.

For gloves, cheap leather gardening gloves can be bought at Wal-Mart.

For cups and masks, I got nothing.  Then again, I value my eyes and
genitals too much to consider discount face or groin protection.

What we do is a martial activity - it is a combat sport.  Rapier or heavy,
it carries an inherent set of risks which are mitigated by wearing proper
equipment and observing the minimal safety precautions enshrined in Society
and Kingdom Law.  Failing to do so exposes the officers of a group and the
organization as a whole to legal liability if someone gets hurt.  It also
exposes the newest and most vulnerable fighters to an unconscionable level
of risk.  I'd be more likely to do slow drills with no helmet on with
another experienced fighter, but put a new fighter in front of me, and you
had better believe I'm wearing a helmet because the new fighter has not
developed the control necessary to be safe.

Ioannes