ANSTHRLD - How to Increase Submissions

S Friedemann RandomSF at wctc.net
Mon Apr 13 11:22:12 PDT 1998

>G>What suggestions do people on this list have for increasing
>G>submissions rates from these groups? I know consultation
>G>tables at events work, and I hope to encourage those.
>G>What else can we ask the local heralds to try or do ourselves as
>G>members of the College of Heralds?
>
>I am from Calontir, but I'm on this list as I seem to a heraldic addict.

Greetings!

I'm from the Midrealm, and I'm a heraldry addict too, so if Modar can
answer, so can I.  ;-[)

The first year that I was Shire herald, there were I think two submissions.
That was partly because I didn't have a clue what I was doing then.  After I
started getting more settled in, things started picking up.  I now turn out
a submission or two from my Shire nearly every month.

I found, for me, that the best way to increase heraldic interest is to make
sure its available.  More than just commenting tables at groups--I've found
that they can easily just get shoved into the corner.  Once I started
writing pursuivant's letters every month in the newsletter, more people
became aware of heraldry; people who'd never really thought of submitting
started coming to me with questions.  And then, at events and moots, I make
sure I *always* have my heraldry things with me.  Even if a person has no
intention of submitting any time soon, if they have various books
(especially with color pictures!) to look through, that plants the seed for
the idea.

Right now in my group, we have *alot* of new people.  With the exception of
half-a-dozen or so people, everyone in the Shire joined in the last two
years.  So that means I've got lots of people who are looking for names,
looking for device ideas, and such.  And when they have decided what they
want, I've found that a gentle, but continuous, 'nagging' helps them finally
get the check written up and the submissions sent it.

I'm sure things vary from place to place.  But this is what I've done, and
I'm pretty pleased with the results.  On the January letter of intent,
nearly a quarter of the submissions were from my Shire, as opposed to the
none that it had been a year ago.

>If I may, I must say that I feel the answer is Heraldic Display.
>The more heraldic display is encouraged, the more people want
>to submit a device, so they can join in.

And I agree with this too!

Aryanhwy

Lady Aryanhwy Prytydes merch Catmael Caermyrdin
Opinicus Pursuivant
Falcon's Keep, Northshield, Midrealm