ANSTHRLD - How to Increase Submissions

Ron Knight rknight at kumc.edu
Mon Apr 13 09:57:47 PDT 1998

Greetings from Modar!

Gwenllian inquired:

G>What suggestions do people on this list have for increasing
G>submissions rates from these groups? I know consultation
G>tables at events work, and I hope to encourage those.
G>What else can we ask the local heralds to try or do ourselves as
G>members of the College of Heralds?

I am from Calontir, but I'm on this list as I seem to a heraldic addict.
If I may, I must say that I feel the answer is Heraldic Display.
The more heraldic display is encouraged, the more people want
to submit a device, so they can join in.

Some months ago I was speaking with some people on the SCA
Heralds List about this same thing.  I'll re-post here the text of a
message I sent at that time.

My apologies to anyone who may have seen this previously.

I was discussing the fact that about 95% of my group either
has a registered device or has one in submission (and with
a group of close to 50 now, this is quite a bit).  I said:

>And on top of all this, everyone who gets a registered device
>gets a banner.  (I supply the cloth, draw the device on in pencil,
>then ink it, then the group has a "painting party" and we all work
>on painting the banners.  Out of a group of over 40 people,
>three-fourths of them have banners, and almost everyone else
>has a submission somewhere in process.

Alanna replied:

>I wish we could get our Barony to do this...

I responded back:

> [...]
>around.  Then as the "inking" was done, I started handing out paint
>and brushes. Before long the banner was being completed with me
>simply supervising.
>
>Of course this got everyone excited and wanting to do one for
>themselves. (After all, they had just discovered how easy and
>fun it was to make one.) So I stated that if anyone who had a
>registered device wanted one, they had to get me a picture of
>their device.
>
>I promised to supply (at no cost to them) a piece of cloth with
>their device pencilled in on it. We would them work on them at
>the next meeting.  I then stated that while I was more than happy
>to supply the cloth and do the work of getting the devices pencilled
>onto the cloth, I couldn't afford to from the cost for paint for all the
>devices we had to do. I asked if everyone would be willing to donate
>a couple of bucks toward buying more paint. Everyone agreed, but
>then the seneschal of the group (at that time) offered to reimburse
>me for paint from the group funds. This met with great enthusiasm.
>
>Several people got me drawings of their devices that evening.
>At the next meeting we had several banners to work on.  Since there
>was limited room to work, I had everyone work on just a few banners,
>telling them that everyone had to help with everyone else's banner.
>That way we could get around to everyone's banner.
>
>And it took off from there. Once it started, it took on a life of its own.
>Everyone who had a device wanted a banner, then everyone who
>didn't have a device wanted a device so they could get a banner.
>And once they got banners, they wanted to show them off.  Before
>long, I was visiting other groups explaining our "system" and now
>other places are starting to do more and more banners.
>
>Then I started showing off more and more items that I had with my
>device on it, others followed suit on their own and the more people
>started doing the same, the more people that joined in. Now we've
>got devices on bow-cases, boxes, book covers, arrow boxes, chairs,
>clothes, armor, bow-stands, pillows, rugs, tablecloths, candle holders,
>napkins, pitchers, serving platters, pot-holders, stationary, etc.
>
>The key is getting it started.  And sometimes to get
>things started you have to take people by the hand
>and lead them.
>
>You've first got to get someone willing to take the lead in getting
>the project started, and someone to get the preliminary drawing done.
>
>In this case, a lot can depend on support from your Baronage.
>Since a Barony is usually quite large, it will probably be impractical
>to supply materials for free our of one's own pocket.  Would the
>Baronial coffers be able to afford to?  And would the Baronage
>be willing to support such a pageantry concept?  If not, then try
>to raise project funds in some manner.
>
>Once you have the materials, start a hands-on demo/class
>at populace meetings.  And let it grow from there.

This is just my perspective/suggestion. Of course things
can vary depending on one's own group, but the basis is
a solid means of getting it going.  Use your own device
to create heraldic display, show it off, make other people
want it, then lead them in learning how easy it is to do.
Visit other groups and "show off" the heraldic display.
Explain to them how to do it.  Maybe have a heradlic
display competition between groups.  Try to get the
Crown involved, explaining how there would be better
ambiance at events, if there was more heraldic display,
and ask them to encourage it with announcements at
courts.

People basically think, "Why bother to submit a device
unless you can show  that there's a reason to have a device?"

Heraldic display is the answer.  IMHO.

Modar

H.L. Modar Neznanich, CLM, CSH, OT
Saker Emeritus