ANSTHRLD - name books

John Ruble jruble at urocor.com
Fri Apr 24 14:27:26 PDT 1998

Edric Lorry said:
> heraldry, but what I lack are books on names (ie. Dauzat,Reamey &
> Wilson),I
> do have a copy of the Wythicomb and am curious if anyone knows a way I may
> be able to obtain a copy of the others,so that  I can start a "heralds
> point"at my local events to help others since our heralds ideal of helping
> is to say "blazoing is not part of my job, get your device blazoned and
> your name documented and i'll submit it for you". That is not what I think
> a heralds "job" should be and would like to give others the help I had
> recieved.

A noble pursuit, and one to be applauded.  But I suggest you put some of
your energy into "helping" your local herald rather than setting up against
him or her.  Maybe apply to be their deputy.  This could be a learning
experience for both of you, and it sounds like your herald has some things
to learn.

As for books, haunt large and small local book stores.  Often some dusty
corner has a few books interesting to heralds.  Check out the Administrative
Handbook of the College of Arms for a list of good and "bad" books.

Also, Amazon.Com has online book ordering.  I just got done connecting my
web page to them, linking to several titles from that list I mentioned.  You
can see it at:
    http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Aegean/2883/heraldry.html

Most of the good ones are out of stock. But what is so neat about Amazon is
that they will go out and HUNT for books you request.  They even have
Papsworth on their hit list.

- -Ulf
Oh, yeah, the Ordinary for Crests and Supporters is up now!