ANSTHRLD - Anst Heralds List (fwd)

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Jul 8 15:36:57 PDT 1998

Teceangl wrote:
> Two points to quibble with Daniel, here...  :)
> 1) Zenobia isn't on SCAHRLDS

I didn't say she was:
: there are more knowledgable and experienced
: heralds out there: Da'ud ibn Auda, Rouland Carre, Zenobia Naphthali, ...
: Some of these heralds can be seen on the SCA Heralds' mailing list.
(Hey, if you're going to quibble, I'll counter-quibble.)

> I see a bang (!) when not used as a
> punctuation mark, to mean "not", as in <accept = !tierna> when excluding
> all who aren't me.  So, Daniel, what precisely do you mean by typing
> "Talan Gwynek!"?  <I'm covering up my head, see?>

Note that your "!" is a prefix.  This is rather like C,
where
    if ( !(x = malloc(16)) ) {
is a valid expression (though wretched programming style).

WHen I wrote "Talan Gwynek!", however, it was a suffix, and in
fact it WAS used as a punctuation mark, to mark an interjection.
I have boundless admiration for Talan's erudition on names
and armory, and for the reams of commentary he helps us with.

(I don't actually know if you can have an exclamation in the
middle of a sentence according to formal prescriptive grammar.
Hey!  I'm making it up as I go along.)

Daniel "All hail the Name Balrog of the East!" de Lincolia
- --
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com;
    if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com is my work account.