ANSTHRLD - Personal Conflict Check

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Wed Aug 4 12:47:12 PDT 1999

Timothy wrote,
> Perhaps I simply do not understand what is meant by "distilling a
> goutte".  I took this to be a Tertiary charge, which the complete
> removal of would net me another CD.  Would you mind explaining this?

"Distilling a gout" is with a drop dangling from some projection or
otherwise on the edge.  It thus counts as a maintained charge and
worth no CD.  That is a rather long-standing precedent.

For more philosophy: it may be objected that if such a charge be
simply moved inward, it would become a tertiary and worth a
difference, even though it change not at all in size, color, et
cetera.  Nevertheless, there is (I gather) period evidence that
maintained charges were not, well, maintained: that arms for the same
person might or might not be shown with the maintained charge -- but I
presume that such has not been shewn for tertiaries.

Daniel de Lincolia
- --
                    *** NEW PERSONAL ADDRESS ***
    tmcd at austin.ibm.com and tmcd at us.ibm.com are my work accounts.